• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wikipedia Links At The Bottom - Do They Count?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:33 AM

Wikipedia Links at the bottom - do they count?

Of course they are very helpful and I for one always find that they are relevant and not spammy.....

Just wondered, thanks, Lister

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

Rather than guess at which links you're referring to, you can tell from reviewing the code on the page.

As long as the page is indexed, meaning it's not excluded via robots.txt, look to see if there's a meta robots tag in the header section of the page that tells the bots not to follow any link on the page. Then assuming that's not there look at coding for the individual link(s) in question to see if they have a rel="nofollow" element to the link.

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

thanks - just to add that the links from wikipedia do indeed have no follow...

Edited by lister, 23 March 2009 - 08:51 AM.

#4 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

I like SEO for Firefox, it highlights no-follow links in Red.

Internally in our SEO department we are chatting about how much "nofollow" links actually aren't followed, in testing, it would seem that Yahoo and MSN do definently follow them, Google also seemed to 'follow' them, but we aren't sure if that something else polluted the results, but nofollow links do indeed get followed in some engines!

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

AFAIK, Google never said they don't follow a "nofollow" link, in the sense of not indexing the page that's at the other end of the link. All they said is the link won't pass link popularity.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:37 AM

I like SEO for Firefox, it highlights no-follow links in Red.

Offtopic
Which reminds me, I really need to do a blog post about adding a nofollow highlighter to Google Chrome tomorrow. Easy to do now that they've finally started working on getting Extensions working. Even if it's not nearly fully implemented yet.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

Randy, the ability to add the nofollow color link thingee in chrome has been there from nearly the start. Just not quite as easy as with an extension. You can block ads too!

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, I know Jill. I've been using a modified Greasemonkey script to do it myself since the beginning.

Now however they're finally opening up Extensions, and have a dedicated team set up to enable and develop browser extensions. Extensions will make it a lot easier and more intuitive. It's not great yet --for instance as a dev you still cannot package extensions so people can simply drag and drop them, though that's already planned as a future update-- but being able to simply download a couple of files in a folder is a lot easier than it was before.

I did manage to pop up a blog post with quick instructions for nofollow highlighting in Chrome this morning. Mainly because I'd not seen anybody else who got it working yet.

#9 flsprojects

flsprojects

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:21 AM

i am using firefox - search status add-on is excellent for nofollow links

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/321

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!