• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Switching Home Page Url

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smulder

smulder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hi,

I知 working on a site that uses a splash page as the home/index page (www.example.com). The splash page has one image and one link to the actual main page (www.example.com/main).

Essentially, I want to get rid of the URL www.example.com/main and replace it with the URL www.example.com...with the content of www.example.com/main. The splash page has PR I壇 like to keep.

I知 leaning towards the solution of physically moving the /main content to the www.example.com page and redirecting the /main page to www.example.com.

Using a mod_rewrite maybe be another answer. Any ideas on what the best solution might be?

Thank you!

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

I'd simply 301 redirect www.example.com/ to www.example.com/main/

That way your true home page stays at the same address, as do all of your other pages. But the 301 will pass through any link pop the base domain name may have.

Plus it's a lot easier to unwind if you ever find it necessary to do so.

#3 smulder

smulder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hey Randy,

Thanks for the quick response. So you would just completely lose (via a 301) the www.example.com/ ?

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 22 2009, 07:31 PM) View Post
I'd simply 301 redirect www.example.com/ to www.example.com/main/

That way your true home page stays at the same address, as do all of your other pages. But the 301 will pass through any link pop the base domain name may have.

Plus it's a lot easier to unwind if you ever find it necessary to do so.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

When you say Lose it, do you mean have it disappear from the search engine results pages?

I've seen it happen both ways, which makes absolutely no sense. lol.gif

I've seen cases where the base domain address left the SERPs and were replaced with the internal page. And I've seen other cases where the base domain address still shows up in the SERPs, but the internal page doesn't. Either way it doesn't seem to affect rankings. They do still merge the two together.

#5 smulder

smulder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

By 'lose' I mean, nowhere in my site would I have a page called, http://www.example.com/ ?

I'm convinced that SEO and search engines doesn't make sense half the time...that's half the fun I suppose!

Thanks

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

Right. If you set up a 301 redirect from / to /main/ the / address will cease to exist for all intents and purposes.

However this doesn't necessarily mean the search engines won't still list it. eek.gif Just that anybody and anything hitting it will be automatically redirected.

#7 smulder

smulder

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

Got it...thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.