• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Took On Pr0 Client-what Was I Thinking?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 team5789

team5789

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

I am new to SEO and I took on a PR0 client as my first client. The competition averages PR2-3. Their site has been around 1 year and they really did nothing with it. I have gone through the code and made the necessary changes there for their targeted keywords and we are in the process of adding decent content to the home page which previously had only one sentence. My question is to jump start their site (which is not ranked in the top 100 for keyword currently) can I get them in a few of the good directories such as botw, joeant, goguides, etc... Will this help while I am adding content to their site and of course building links for them. If not these directories what else could I do to jump start this site. I am beginning to wonder If I should have turned down a PR0 client. Their domain name does not include they keyword either if that matters.

thanks for any advice. Oh side question: how hard is it to get to a PR2 or PR3. All of the competition is local and uses localized keywords like the name of the town. This is probably simple for most of you guys here on this forum, but I am just starting out.

What would you all suggest? Thanks in advance.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

Suggestion 1: stop paying attention to Toolbar PR. It has nothing to do with rankings.

Suggestion 2: read the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] to learn more about stuff that actually matters.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 team5789

team5789

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

I appreciate the abrubtness of your answer and the lack of tolerance for newbies. I am trying to do the right things here so let me re-phrase my question. What would you do to get a site moving while building the right content to draw people in for natural links. This is a real estate site in a medium size town. Should I get the site moving by:

1. Submit to relevant directories
2. Submit to Higher quality paid directories
3. Blog commenting on relevant real estate blogs
4. Press Release
5. Article submission

All of the above - None of the above. I know there is no quick fix. I am just looking for a starting point.

Thanks

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

It sounds like you're basically starting from scratch just like with a brand new site teams5789. There's nothing terribly frightening about that. At least you're not having to undo something someone else has done, which is a lot worse.

The answer is you do it all. Not just the things you've mentioned, but everything.

Torka pointed you to exactly the right place. Start with the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url]. All of the general answers are there. Also pay attention to the pinned threads you'll see here on the forums. They're pinned for a reason.

Don't expect miracles overnight. Or if you need some results quickly someone is going to have to pay for the traffic. Just make sure it's qualified traffic so you're not wasting money.

And for goodness sake stop paying attention to Toolbar PageRank. It means very, very little as you'll see by the pinned thread above.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(team5789 @ Mar 22 2009, 02:55 PM) View Post
I appreciate the abrubtness of your answer and the lack of tolerance for newbies.

Au contraire! We love newbies, which is why we put together the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url], so a condensed version of the accumulated wisdom of the forum would be available in one handy-dandy place.

Seriously, read the articles in that thread. Everything you need to know to get started is in there. thumbup1.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:23 AM

The main thing you'll need to think about with the client is what do you have that's going to be worth linking to?

If nothing than a site that has the same houses listed as every other site, or the same town facts that all the other sites have, you're gonna kinda be out of luck in terms of building truly high quality links.

So think about how you can be different and then do it. Of course, the client will have to be willing to put some money into it as being different is time consuming and sometimes expensive.

#7 team5789

team5789

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

Thank you all for responding. I really do appreciate it and it has helped. I will definately read more of what you have to offer here as I want to stay clean in my approach. I will also stop looking at PR. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!