• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

No Follow- Making Sure I Do It Correctly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

Ok i have a site that sells very well but i am showing up for keywords in the homepage such as atv covers and motorcycle covers. So my idea is to put a no follow on the homepage for anything that is not related to car covers, and truck covers hoping that google will replace motorcyle page ranking on the homepage with the actual motorcycle page that has a good page rank. It's weird motorcycle cover ranks for the motorcycle page but the plural ranks for the homepage. Do you have any better suggestions. I also think if i do no follow it will help make sure they realize it's a car cover company and not a motorcycle cover company. yes i want to rank for other things but it would convert better on their own pages and convert terribly on the homepage. Any other ideas would be great and i should be coding all day and fixing titles so let me know if you have any suggestions

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

So my idea is to put a no follow on the homepage for anything that is not related to car covers, and truck covers

How would you do that? Not understanding this as I don't know how one can nofollow words on a page.

#3 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

It's not words it's hyperlinks to the all of the pages- so i have motorcycle cover that goes to the motorcycle page and atv covers that goes to the atv page

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 21 2009, 11:05 AM) View Post
How would you do that? Not understanding this as I don't know how one can nofollow words on a page.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

So you are thinking that nofollowing those links to those pages that you WANT to rank for those words would help?

That seems completely counter intuitive to me. Links with the appropriate hypertext to inner pages should only help, not hurt. So I'm still confused!

#5 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

the problem is i have all the pages indexed but i have too many keywords ranking for the homepage and not for the subpages- so i am hoping to get them to rank for the subpages instead for the smaller keywords. All of my pages are indexed and ranked pretty well. If you have any better ideas let me know please

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

As Jill said, putting nofollow on the links from the home page to those interior pages will do the exact opposite of what you want -- it will make it harder for those pages to rank well for the desired terms.

There's not much you can do to specify which pages rank in the search engines for a given search term. You can suggest, you can try to influence, but you can't control. So the page that shows up isn't exactly the page you'd like... look, at least you have a page showing up in the rankings for the terms you want -- a lot of folks show up here with problems getting any page to rank.

Apparently you've done a pretty good job of optimizing and getting links pointing to your home page. If you want the interior pages to also rank as well as the home page, you're going to have to put at least that much work into each one of them -- and maybe more work. It could be that without a lot of additional work, the interior pages of your site simply aren't powerful enough to rank well for your desired terms.

Because your home page is likely the most powerful page on your site -- if it's like most sites, it's the most powerful by a pretty wide margin, because almost all incoming links point to the home page -- you may simply have to let the home page do its ranking thing for now and rely on good home page navigation to get visitors from there to where you want them to go.

If you have good clear navigation from the home page, your visitors should be able to easily find the specific detail item they wanted -- and they'll get to see all the other stuff you carry that they might not have thought of at first (but now, having seen it, can't live without wink1.gif ).

You can try optimizing the on-page text and code of those interior pages and your site's internal navigation to do what you can for the inside pages. If you think you can get them, you can try for deep links directly to those interior pages (but those are probably going to be even harder to get than links pointing to the home page). Eventually this may enable them to also rank for the terms you want.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

I concur with Jill and Diane. Using a rel=nofollow on your interior link structure to those pages is not going to help. Additionally, even if it did those interior pages are not going to just spring into the same ranking spot as your home page. In fact if those interior pages do not already appear as an indented listing in the SERPs for those phrases they're not even on the same SERP page currently, so you're going to be hurting your position and traffic for those pages by what you're considering doing.

My advice is to try to get some external pages linking to those specific internal pages, using the phrases you're targeting at the anchor text. Of course review your on page optimization of those pages as well. But if you need them to compete, against all other sites and your own home page, you're probably going to need to get them some link pop that belongs to those pages first. As opposed to link pop that comes to your home page first and then fans out via your internal linking structure.

#8 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

hi thank you for your help. I will rework the linking structure. I don't think i have a very good hierarchy structure to my site. What did you mean by

"If you think you can get them, you can try for deep links directly to those interior pages (but those are probably going to be even harder to get than links pointing to the home page)"

just wondering- thank you for your help and hope it wasn;t too bad of a question. I guess i will have to work on external links.

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

It just means to focus a bit on trying to develop some links from other sites that go directly to those interior pages, instead of pointing at your home page. For example, you might seek out some sites that specifically cater to Motorcycle market and see if they'll link to your Motorcycle Covers page. Same for ATV's and so on.

These links will then deliver their link popularity/PageRank to your interior page, rather than have it pointing at your home page and then disseminating out from there to all of your pages. Giving those interior pages a bit more of a bump.

If you can get them to link with your motorcycle covers and atv covers anchor text, all the better.

Make sense?

#10 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

yup you guys are the best at answering the questions. I do refer your site a lot when i meet other people in the industry trying to improve seo. I will have another post soon on another topic. Just wondering i heard if you want to rank well for a term like motorcycle covers you do not want a text link for waterproof motorcycle covers. For instance i got a great link from a person i do business with for waterproof boat covers. i rank number one for that term on google but it did not help me for the term boat covers. Any suggestions on that or any theory. Thank you

#11 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

It'll still help some because "waterproof motorcycle covers" does in fact include the phrase "motorcycle covers". It's not an exact match, that's true. But it would be wrong to say it doesn't help with the two-word phrase.

Most likely what you're seeing there is the three-word phrase is considerably less competitive than two-word phrase. So while a single link was enough to improve the less competitive phrase it'll take a bit more to push your way to the top for the two-word phrase.

#12 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

sorry to bother you guys- i don't even rank in the top 10 pages for that page for that keyword. However with that one text link i am number one so it does not seem to have any affect. If you have any theories that would be great. It could be a less competitive word but i thought it would rank somewhat on that page. I am correctly a lot of my titles to be more focused on the keywords and not spammy. it's just little annoying or i guess the wonder of google.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.