• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Tough Link Building

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PaleMoonLight

PaleMoonLight

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

Is it just me or has link building gotten extremely difficult lately?

In the past 2 months I've noticed a huge shift of sites going 'nofollow'.

So building link has become an extremely tough job.

My question is what are your strategies/ideas/areas of focus when building links for a site that is particularly tough?

For example, I'm working on a site at the moment that is an online pharmacy site. While the site I am working on is completely legit and above board it doesnt matter at the end of the day because all online pharmacies have gotten a bad name really. So I'm looking at every odd ball strategy I can, really having to think outside the box, but it's tough.

What are your thoughts?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

Good luck with Pharma. As you said, the whole market segment has been ruined, on several fronts.

That's one of those most won't touch. There are legalities involved that are different the world over. And frankly it's easier to say No than it is to figure out if everything is on the up and up or not. It can be as simple as how is someone from the outside supposed to confirm that the pharma site has systems in place to require and verify a legitimate prescription before accepting an order?

As to the overall question though, real link building isn't any harder today that it's ever been. It's always been a difficult, time consuming process if you do it the right way, where you're seeking out potential link partners that have a certain affinity with your product line or target audience. Those opportunities still abound.

What's different is that a lot of the easier, more shoddy approaches where little thought has been put into the idea of building quality links have been drastically affected by nofollow. Surely you can't blame those webmasters for taking back control of their own sites?

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

The SEO community created this problem by placing too much emphasis on links.

If you want more links create more content. The content will get you more traffic anyway.

Now, the trick is getting people to find the content. That's easier done than said, but basically you just put the content where people are likely to find it without worrying about which links are nofollowed.

At the end of the day which would you rather have (if you cannot have both): 1,000 visitors or 1,000 top rankings on Google?

Me -- I'll take the visitors.

#4 PaleMoonLight

PaleMoonLight

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:10 AM

Cant blame site moderators and owners going nofollow. But with an increase in secure posting methods to prevent spam(entry codes, math working out codes) I would suspect that nofollows would be eased up.

What is irritating is that despite a site being a nofollow people/spammers are still placing links on sites wherever they can. No research is done. It irritates me seeing link builders just placing links where ever, no thought at all.

What I'm finding as well is that a site will be a follow site, but as soon as you post on it it becomes a nofollow. Odd

I just think its time to change strategies, strategies that will take up more time. Ultimitely I think that the days of being able to place 30 links a week/a month or whatever are gone. In are the days where you will only be able to do say 10 over that same amount of time because for good links now its more time consuming.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(PaleMoonLight @ Mar 20 2009, 03:10 AM) View Post
I just think its time to change strategies, strategies that will take up more time.

I can't agree with that thinking at all. I've long opposed the traditional link building methods because they are so inefficient. Now you're proposing going for even more inefficient link building?

My time is too valuable for that. Your time should be too valuable for that as well. It's better to look for ways to improve your efficiencies.

Don't assume you have to rank through links until the search results make it clear that you must.

Don't assume you need as many links as your competitors until the search results make it clear that you do.

Don't assume you have to obtain your links the same way your competitors do.

Look for ways to maximize your bang for your buck. Your decision to abandon the old strategy is an opportunity to look for a better method. Don't let it force you into resignation and self-imposed doom-and-gloom strategies.

Be positive and upbeat. Look for opportunities to leverage the content you normally create and are easily capable of creating. It's not all about links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!