• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Does This Trick Work?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rohgan03

rohgan03

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

While searching for "google products optimization", I came across this link:
http://searchanalyti..... optimization

How do large sites like facebook, mapquest and compete, get these types of pages indexed? The page above is obviously not linked from their home page. How do they provide a large database of search terms to index their site for? This does not seem to be the regular SEO of creating a page and linking to it in the navigation map of the site. Is this through massive sitemaps?

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Compete doesn't do a very good job of protecting registered accounts' data. I've found a number of my reports showing in Google's index.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Then engines all use several methods of page discovery.

We have no way of knowing if someone submitted that page to Google. We have no way of knowing if someone visited that page and had Google's Toolbar installed. We have no way of knowing if someone somewhere out there is linking to that specific page. And we have no way of knowing if Compete is feeding that url to Google for some reason.

Any of the above and several other possible scenario's could be the root cause. But if the domain doesn't restrict the url via robots.txt or deliver a different status code than 200 OK, the engines are perfectly right in indexing the url. And as Michael said above, historically Compete doesn't do a very good job of protecting those urls to keep them out of the index.

#4 rohgan03

rohgan03

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Randy: Maybe I did not ask the question right. If you type "rnady" (Randy doesn't give similar results so typo is intendeD) on google, you woudl notice a facebook page, a linked in page. Similarly type "los angeles maps" and map quest shows up.

What is the strategy to get these very large volume of search term related pages indexed? I am sure map shows up for maps and directions from literally any place you mention on google. They have massive number of pages pre-created that are being indexed. What is the strategy behind this. Is this some kind of directory that they create or they submit pages not on the site through sitemap.. how does it work?

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

All they have to do is make a page available to be spidered that is relevant for the phrase. Because all of the sites you're talking about already have a ton of authority.

I guess I don't get the question. Are you asking what method they're using to get the pages spidered? The method won't really matter as long as they're making it available. And if they have a site search tool they may not have to go to any special means to make the urls available. Google especially been known recently to try searches on a site search tool and index any page that gets returned if it contains data.

#6 rohgan03

rohgan03

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

Randy: Thanks that helps. I am trying to understand how do they make these pages available. Everyone page on my site in google is made available to users and bots .. its visible on the website. These pages are not visible on the website. So how do large websites with authority provide these pages?

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

There are several ways rohgan03. And in fact the sites may be providing a way to get to those page (for bots and users alike) that may not at first be apparent. One would have to do a complete internal linking structure to see if they're linking to those pages or a page that leads to those pages. Or if there's an external link somewhere to those pages or a page that links to those pages.

In theory they could also be providing those urls via an XML Sitemap too.

Or if the pages are only reachable via a search form it could be something Google has picked up on. Google does in fact utilize some site search forms and include the results pages in their results these days. This newish thing happens with a lot of the more authoritative sites. And in fact I've had it happen with some of my own sites even though most of them are only authoritative in their (much smaller) markets.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:53 PM

You're assuming that they don't make the pages available to the search engines. I've found that they do make the pages available.

This query shows that lots of information about HighRankings is exposed to the search engines.

How did that info get there? Maybe as Randy suggested through a complex network of XML sitemaps.

I opened one of those compressed sitemaps and found analytics page URLs for thousands of domains.

So Compete is making the information freely available to the search engines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!