• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Link Rel=canonical - Should I Use This For Regular/print Friendly Vers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:33 AM

The new rel=canonical tag seems like a good idea, but as with all new things there seems to be a lot of questions about appropriate use right now.

I have an articles section with 2 versions of each page, a printer friendly version and a full graphics version. To be clear, each printer friendly version is an individual page and the full graphics version is a single php page that pulls the printer friendly page in as required. So the printer friendly version might be called article-about-whatever.php whereas the graphic page might be called article-index.php?id=123

Should/could I use the rel=canonical tag to tell G that this is the same page? would this be accounted for within my historical GoAn stats?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

That's pretty much what rel="canonical" is for, according to the folks at the engines I've talked to Rolf. It's their ideal implementation in fact.

I don't believe however it's going to have any effect on the GoAn side of things currently. It's still going to produce actual analytics of page hits by real visitors, regardless of your use of rel="canonical" as I understand it. Which is probably the way it should be.

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

Thanks Randy, I thought it would be right, but the examples I've seen have all been using variables in the URL, which makes just as much sense to me so I wasn't sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.