• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ga Seems To Have Changed Our Url

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oneofthe3lions

oneofthe3lions

Paz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

actually nothing has been changed and there arent as far as we are aware any cononical issues but this month GA has been reporting our home page as /index.htm as oppose to its usual /

I cannot figure out why this change has happened.

I have just added the cononical tag to see if that will correct it in GA but never had to do this previously and wondering if they are related? i.e they reset everything on launch of this tag acceptance awaiting our own instructions(?) Thing is tho we already express our preferred url in webmaster tools of course.

Anyone else experiencing similar happenings?

Any thoughts on why this has started happening with us?

Thnx

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

You're talking about in Google Analytics, right? Not in Google overall.

I'm not sure if the rel="canonical" element is going to have any effect on Google Analytics at all. It's going to report the page someone is actually on, as reported by their browser.

You'll want to check your internal linkage, how your site's home page is being listed in Google and the other search engines and so on. Because if index.htm is showing up in Analytics people are actually at that address. So they're getting there somehow.

#3 oneofthe3lions

oneofthe3lions

Paz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 17 2009, 11:39 AM) View Post
You're talking about in Google Analytics, right? Not in Google overall.

I'm not sure if the rel="canonical" element is going to have any effect on Google Analytics at all. It's going to report the page someone is actually on, as reported by their browser.

You'll want to check your internal linkage, how your site's home page is being listed in Google and the other search engines and so on. Because if index.htm is showing up in Analytics people are actually at that address. So they're getting there somehow.

Hi Randy,

No, the index.html does not appear in any results or in any link anywhere. GA has simply started 'reporting' the people landing on the / as actually landing on the index.html with no changes whatsoever been made to our structure. Actually I have htaccess edited to always be the / and has been this way forever. Now no info is being shown at all for the / , every single visitor is being reported as seeing the index.html. If there were a mix up with both urls beeing available then both urls would be showing but as I say, it has simply changed from / to index.html

It is definately a reporting issue ( or decision) with GA.

I've added to the canonical tag simply to re-enforce this set up because obviously it is messing with analytics reports, funnels, goals etc etc at this moment

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Odd. Really odd.

FWIW I did check the handful of sites I have set up with GoAn and didn't see anything like that with any of my sites. Mine are all still showing as simply /

#5 oneofthe3lions

oneofthe3lions

Paz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Okay. after a bit more research I may have found the catlyst (scrub- culprit)

To within a day or so there was one change actually made to our code and it did actually involve GA.

We (I) noticed that it was taking some lag time for the browser to communicate to GA when it hit the script on a page. So I had the scripts put onto our own server.

i.e insead of:

<script type="text/javascript">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
try {
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("Account Number Here");
pageTracker._trackPageview();
} catch(err) {}</script>

We had something like:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.Domain.co...s.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.Domain.co...2.js"></script>

Altho this shouldnt have made any difference it is a bit of a coincidence. No one else seems to have seen a change to this 'default' url so as it wont hurt to change it back I have just done so and will be interesting if the reported url changes back to the usual / one immediately.

I also noticed that click through rates were not being tracked from "/" when checking "/" in the site overlay. I suspect that it 'would' display if I did have "/index.html" in trhe browser (of course I cant do that cos it rewrites)

Probably not very useful findings but interesting just the same if you are into this stuff and just shows how tiny things can have wierd consequences sometimes.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,190 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Actually I think it's very useful! We never know when we might come across a similar problem on a site and now we'll know something else to look for.

Thanks for posting your findings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!