• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Link With Image Instead Of Link Phrase - Good Or Bad?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

Hi all

I am a web developer and I am keen to expand my current knowledge of SEO techniques and stumbled across this fantastic website/forum. I have spent approx a day and a half so far reading through different posts which have been really helpful and I now have a question of my own.

With every website I create, I tend to have a small link at the bottom of each web page which is a direct link to my company website homepage, basically advertising my services. Now, the link itself is a small 20px X 20px company logo with no link phrase text, just Title text for the link and Alt text for the image (both of which are the same text i.e. 'designed and developed by 'my company name''.

My question is, would changing these links to include link phrase text be better procedure than displaying an image with Alt text or not?

I have potentially 30-40 websites out there each with links to my site and for that reason wanted to know if I could do anything to improve the link building to my site.

Many Thanks for reading

Regards
Kris

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:07 AM

Whether the link is an image or text makes no difference, it's always good if you have a page offering 'link to me' code that you offer both types , text & image.

What's important is the text you use for the anchor text link or the text used in the alt attribute, as these are where you want your keywords/phrases so you are passed juice for those keywords/phrases.

If you are a web developer , what do you want people to type into the SE's to find your service?

Once you have worked that out, you then know the keywords/phrases you want used for the anchor text or alt attributes.

#3 NMHancock

NMHancock

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

I agree with 1dmf, its doesn't matter whether you use an image or text, as long as your image has good descriptive alt text.

When viewing a site the SE's will view the site using a text only browser, it will replace your image with your alt text, therefore in the SE's eyes there is very little difference between using an image or text for your link.

Hope this helps,

Neil M Hancock

#4 oneofthe3lions

oneofthe3lions

Paz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

The engines do, in normal circumstances, follow the first links anchor text that it comes across so may be worth bearing in mind.

Also the text for the image should display the image description as oppose to extra phrase or something that you may want to add somewhere extra, again worth bearing in mind.

#5 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will take it on board.

Kris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!