• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Page Not Seen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 deldove

deldove

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

hi
we have a web site that was produced and apparentlyt optimised by someone. the issue is that for one of the serach terms, we're on page 1 of yahoo and msn but not google.

when i cut and pasted that page name string into the google search space, it didnt even come up saying:

Your search - http:// www.somedomain.com/index.asp?pageID=89 - did not match any documents.

how can this be??

has the page been blacklisted or maybe simply not submitted?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

There could be any number of reasons for the page not being indexed.

More times than not it comes down to the page simply not being linked to from any important pages anywhere. So that's the first thing to look at. Which other pages link to the page in question?

FTR pages don't need to be submitted to any search engine at all. Ever. They have spiders that will discover links to each page and crawl them. Even if you do submit a page it will not stick in the index if it's orphaned with no other pages linking to it.

#3 deldove

deldove

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

hi Randy - thanks for that

re: More times than not it comes down to the page simply not being linked to from any important pages anywhere. So that's the first thing to look at. Which other pages link to the page in question?

surely this wouldn't apply if the page does come up AND rank well is yahooo and msn though?

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 16 2009, 04:14 PM) View Post
There could be any number of reasons for the page not being indexed.

FTR pages don't need to be submitted to any search engine at all. Ever. They have spiders that will discover links to each page and crawl them. Even if you do submit a page it will not stick in the index if it's orphaned with no other pages linking to it.

whats an FTR page? :-)

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

Is it possible that the page is actually showing up under a different URL?

Take a snippet of copy from the page and paste it with quotes into Google's search box and see what shows up. That may enlighten you to what's happening. Don't be surprised if the url you previously put into the box does show up.

#5 deldove

deldove

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 16 2009, 04:28 PM) View Post
Is it possible that the page is actually showing up under a different URL?

Take a snippet of copy from the page and paste it with quotes into Google's search box and see what shows up. That may enlighten you to what's happening. Don't be surprised if the url you previously put into the box does show up.

did that and stil nothing!! yes main index page does show up. its not however a very sexily named page! :

www.bphoists.com/index.asp?pageID=89

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

There's no content on the page. Just 10 or 20 links.

Why should it be considered to be important enough to index?

#7 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

a page it will not stick in the index if it's orphaned with no other pages linking to it.
really.

So a website which is a single page with no IBL's, will not stay indexed.

Is G! setting a min limit on what constitutes a website and if no IBL's even, internal, are not found it drops the page?

Seems at odds with the statement "SE's index pages not websites"

#8 deldove

deldove

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

ah ha all very interesting -

in fact ive now tried to find the page through links on the website and cant find it!!

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

So a website which is a single page with no IBL's, will not stay indexed.

Right. Under the usually correct theory that if nobody anywhere is linking to a page it's not very important.

Is G! setting a min limit on what constitutes a website and if no IBL's even, internal, are not found it drops the page?

I think you either missed the point or I'm misunderstanding your question.

If there are no inbound links to any page of a web site, whether it's a 1 page site or 100,000 page site, how important can it be in the grand scheme of things? It's still an orphaned site that apparently nobody likes very much.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

The nav. links on that page are all javascript that the search engines typically can't follow either. If the rest of the site has those, none of your inner pages will get indexed properly.

#11 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:59 AM

I'm just thinking of someone who releases a new site, that is only one page and has as yet to gain IBL's will be dropped from G! because of this?

Seems a bit harsh / unfair to me, it's no their fault they have no IBL's and their site is only one page.

I had a site that was exaclty that, one page and no IBL's and you're telling me G! punishes me for that, I've taken the site down now, what's the point!

G! is not my friend sad.gif

#12 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Mar 17 2009, 12:59 PM) View Post
dropped from G! because of this?

Surely the point is that with one page and no IBL's how are you getting in to G in the first place, and how would you rank under those circumstances? If that is what you have you aren't really providing either of the things G is looking for...Quality informative content, unlikely with one page, trust signals, nope, nada, zip.

Following on from it getting indexed (if indeed it does) what value is it to Google, why should they keep it in their index if they are never going to use it, it's wasted space.

Seems a bit harsh / unfair to me, it's no their fault they have no IBL's and their site is only one page.

How can you say that, if it's not my fault that I only make one page of content then whose is it, and if it's not my fault that that content isn't worth linking to then whose is it?

#13 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

They'll keep you in the index for a little bit 1dmf, assuming it made it there somehow.

But surely you don't expect big G to keep what is essentially wasted space in their index if after months and months nobody has found the page to be valuable enough to mention it and link to it.

#14 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

That's why you market your site. "If you build it, they will link" only works in the movies.

If you want to be indexed and rank for anything at all in Google, you have to let people know your page exists. Get some niche directory links. Join a local networking group or business association to get a link from their online member directory. Ask friends who have their own blogs or other sites to mention your site (with a link) in an article or add you to their links page or their blogroll. Find other related (non-competitor) sites that offer good value and link to them. Then let them know, not in the "I've linked to you so you better link back or I'm taking the link away" sense, but rather in the "I think you've got a brilliant site so I linked to you - have a great day!" sense. At least some of them will come by to check out your site and if your site is up to snuff you may gain a few more inbound links from them.

There are all kinds of things you can do to get IBLs pointing at your pages, assuming your pages offer something of value to start with.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.