• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Analytics Goal Page Not Showing In Report

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dwhitte

Dwhitte

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hi,

I have set up 8 pages as a goal path to page 9 (the checkout_success.php page) what the customer sees after Authorize.net has processed their card. I know we are getting hits to this page due to orders we have received but it isn't showing up in the Top Content report like the other pages in the goal path. It is dynamic but the previous pages are as well. I have ecommerce enabled on my reports and Head Match set. Perhaps Authorize.Net has something to do with this?

Thanks.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

It could be one of several things Dwhitte.

Personally, I don't like to put a lot of "Step" pages in my goals. As a general rule I'll only do that if there's a very, very defined sales funnel path that people can't deviate from. Otherwise, if someone misses one step in there it can mess up the Goals report. So if there are different paths that can lead to a conversion goal you'll need to be a bit careful with the Step part.

Beyond this, you do have GoAn set up on that final page, right? Google has a help page here that may help to pinpoint the problem. Head Match is usually easier than something involving Regular Expressions if you can get away with using it.

Personally, I use GoAn's special pageTracker javascript on the final page too. Typically capturing _addTrans, _addItem and finally _trackTrans. This seems to work the best for me.

#3 Dwhitte

Dwhitte

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 10 2009, 01:18 PM) View Post
It could be one of several things Dwhitte.

Personally, I don't like to put a lot of "Step" pages in my goals. As a general rule I'll only do that if there's a very, very defined sales funnel path that people can't deviate from. Otherwise, if someone misses one step in there it can mess up the Goals report. So if there are different paths that can lead to a conversion goal you'll need to be a bit careful with the Step part.

Beyond this, you do have GoAn set up on that final page, right? Google has a help page here that may help to pinpoint the problem. Head Match is usually easier than something involving Regular Expressions if you can get away with using it.

Personally, I use GoAn's special pageTracker javascript on the final page too. Typically capturing _addTrans, _addItem and finally _trackTrans. This seems to work the best for me.

Thanks Randy,
In regards to the steps in the goal path, it has been interesting to see what people do on the way to our goal. I'm trying to figure out why so many people look like they are on their way to purchase and then exit the site just before purchase. It could be a lot of reasons I suppose. Useability, browsing habits, etc.

I have GoAn on that final page. What do "_addTrans, _addItem, _trackTrans" actually measure/do? Do you just add them to the GoAn script?
Thanks.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

_addTrans and those are really more part of their Ecommerce module. It can be helpful if you need to track more closely which specific items or types of items are getting purchased. Or at least that's how I tend to use it.

In regards to the steps in the goal path, it has been interesting to see what people do on the way to our goal.

You may be able to discern some information from the Goals > Funnel Visualization area of GoAn. It'll give you both some general and more specific information about traffic hitting each of your Step pages as defined in your Goal. The big image kind of shows he general flow information. The pages listed in the table on the left of the funnel visualization graphic shows the page folks came from immediately proceeding hitting your Step page, and the table on the right shows the next page people went to. This visualization depends somewhat upon if you have your first Step set to be a Required step or not. Reviewing this can show you when and how many people are slipping out of your sales funnel, which can be helpful if you have a funnel that you want people staying in and they're clicking off to some page outside of your funnel.

I'm trying to figure out why so many people look like they are on their way to purchase and then exit the site just before purchase. It could be a lot of reasons I suppose. Useability, browsing habits, etc.

While analytics alone may be able to point you in one direction or another, figuring out Why something is happening and coming up with a fix is really outside the capabilities of Google Analytics. It sounds like you may be looking for something that is more along the lines of Conversion Analysis software. There are several of these available out there, including Google's free Website Optimizer tool.

The analytics will probably give you a good hint or two into where people are dropping out of your sales funnel. Figuring out what they need to keep them from dropping out of the process though will take some conversion testing.

Some general things to look for, and you've already mentioned some of them...
  • Usability - eg Is it blaringly obvious which action to take next on each page?
  • Are you reinforcing the main points (your Unique Value Proposition) throughout the entire sales process?
  • Are there any objections you're not making an effort to overcome? eg Do tell people what will be done with the information they submit? Do you have any Credibility issues that need to be dealt with via authority images/statements, testimonials? Etc, etc.
  • Are you asking for more information than is required to process the order?
  • Does your buying process put potential customers at ease?

FWIW, you're headed down the right path to be asking these questions. Too few do. Once you put a couple of tools in place to be better able to understand what's happening it's usually a fairly simple process to drastically improve both conversions and customer satisfaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!