• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Putting A Video On My Site

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 MaKa

MaKa

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:11 AM

Thank you for sharing the interesting results of your research Randy!

#32 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

Very interesting, Randy, and in line with what I would guess too.

But thats the problem with current search engines. You have to be specific... too specific. If you enter your keywords in shouldnt the SE return a search based on that regardless of the format? If a video is more appropriate return a video etc.

Yeah, totally agree. It's very interesting that the results of regular Google and the results of video search Google are so very different, even when the word "video" is in the search query. Very interesting, indeed!

#33 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

Well my business is real estate and video is becoming very popular. So if someone wants to see a video they have to specify they want to see a video instead of just displaying the results side by side naturally. Why should SEO be any different depending on the format? But right now it is because I have to push a video through so much harder. Its easy if they search from within say Youtube but organic Google searches are different. I realize most people want a text result but not everyone does. I guess the conundrum is how do you know what they want unless they are very specific?

Regardless the least Google could do is let an embedded youtube video be seen on a page and return the page its on. I guess their conundrum is if someone embeds the same video over and over whose result do you return? It probably wouldnt be fair to the original author. Also they seem to want all traffic driven to youtube and rightly so but its at the expense of its users.

#34 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

The problem for the search engines is an age old one ogormask. Namely, deciphering user intent based upon data that isn't very specific.

It's not just a problem for the search engines, but for every web site out there. For instance, how does a webmaster decipher user intent when the signal to noise ratio is so high? As webmasters, without being able to make these determinations it leaves us trying to get the user to conform to our wishes rather than giving them what they want quickly and efficiently. Some people like video. Some don't. Some people want long copy pages. Some don't. Some want lots of pretty graphics. Some don't. This is the sort of thing I fortunately or unfortunately get to deal with every day in the conversion analysis stuff I'm so heavily involved in these days.

This whole area is one of those places where the search engines and webmasters share the same problems. Gauging user intent and delivering exactly what they want to them is very, very difficult.

It's difficult even on a smaller scope such as a web site where the information is more focused, structured and controllable. The search engines are dealing with a situation where the problem is exponentially more difficult to deal with because their users are potentially looking for anything and everything under the sun. So what they've done historically is to attempt to condition users to be more precise in their queries, which allows the engines to pick up on those signals. It's certainly not perfect yet and probably never will be. But the engines all do a better job of it than they did even a few short years ago.

MaKa: You're quite welcome. One of these days I'm going to create a vehicle to get more of this type of information out there for people to use. It's not like it hurts me any to share it. It just takes time (and money) to compile, interpret and organize so that it makes sense.

#35 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Regardless the least Google could do is let an embedded youtube video be seen on a page and return the page its on. I guess their conundrum is if someone embeds the same video over and over whose result do you return? It probably wouldnt be fair to the original author. Also they seem to want all traffic driven to youtube and rightly so but its at the expense of its users.

It's no different, really, than reprints of articles, as far as I can tell.

#36 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

I guess I just wish I could get my site to rank for video. It would really make a difference in what I do and push me to make more and better videos. Ive been slacking lol.

#37 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

I am wondering this. If I want to rank my video. It is hosted on my server. I cannot send backlinks to the video itself on my page. But if I do on my page it does not necessary rank the video but the page. Should it be better to create a page just for the video and name it bla bla video? Or I have to go on youtube and send my backlink to my video there? Cause if you go on the Google web search and put an actor you always get result of 2 videos and one can be on a regular page and one on youtube.

#38 Brad Brusenhan

Brad Brusenhan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

Quick Intro: I am Brad. This is my first post here. I am a tech nerd who is here to learn. Don't rely on my opinions, as they may be wrong. When I am wrong, please let me know. I'd rather be a little embarrassed, but on the right track than wrong and oblivious.
-------------
Interesting discussion. I have the same concern for other items as well. Should I be hosting my own podcasts? Is it actually critical to have a word press site or is the .com blog just as good? I am leaning towards to hosting everything personally. You get more control and there is no guess about the credit.

With regards to format, that is a problem for everyone. Everyone who has an opinion feels strongly about theirs. Most don't have an opinion because they are unaware of the issue. Quick Time is the easiest way to go for sure. Flash is the most likely to be successful for the masses. I believe Google is indexing flash now, but none of the "experts" seem to be ready to bank on it. At least with Quick Time, it installs and indexes easily for everyone. With my service being more local, I am less concerned about someone not having the player here in America.

Do you believe it would be wise to run a QT from the static page with a link next to the player which would allow a visitor to go a flash page if they do not have or want to use QT? See to me, it just complicates everything when simple is the goal. Truth is, I still don't have an answer I am happy with either.

#39 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(Marchy)
Should it be better to create a page just for the video and name it bla bla video?

As far as I know, Google doesn't typically rank just the video files, but the html pages that they are embedded on. If others have seen differently, I'm all ears!

QUOTE(Brad)
Is it actually critical to have a word press site or is the .com blog just as good? I am leaning towards to hosting everything personally. You get more control and there is no guess about the credit.

Definitely not critical nor even important to host at Wordpress. Always better to use your own server. Not so much for SEO, but for business reasons.

#40 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 12 2009, 12:39 PM) View Post
As far as I know, Google doesn't typically rank just the video files, but the html pages that they are embedded on. If others have seen differently, I'm all ears!

I am just wondering how they figure the video ranking? I just put a new video on my index page. Now if I want to rank that video, should I just backlink my index page. I already have a lot of backlinks to it. This is really where my confusion is. I am sure there is a way to get the video up the search engine without just having regular backlinks to the page the video is on. Maybe I am totally wrong but there is something that does not make sense.

#41 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

The hard part is to get Google to "see" your video as being on that page. Its not as easy as it seems.

#42 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

The easiest way to get them to See it is to provide a text transcript. Or a very descriptive bit of text that is shorter than a transcript but gets to the heart of the matter and uses the keywords people would use when searching.

This is sort of a new thing, but I know Matt C has written about it recently on his blog. Specifically about YouTube videos in that case.

For an example of how to set up Subtitles and Captions with YouTube videos see this post. To see how to link to specific places within a YouTube video see this post. Both require a bit of work on your part to figure out the timing of the action in the video.

#43 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

That video transcript being able to link to certain areas of the video is totally awesome!

I was able to use what Matt linked to for when he quoted me on his video and link it on our "In the News" page. So cool.

#44 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 12 2009, 12:39 PM) View Post
Definitely not critical nor even important to host at Wordpress. Always better to use your own server. Not so much for SEO, but for business reasons.

Especially since you can just install WordPress software on your own server, and get the best of both worlds. smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#45 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 12 2009, 01:54 PM) View Post
The easiest way to get them to See it is to provide a text transcript. Or a very descriptive bit of text that is shorter than a transcript but gets to the heart of the matter and uses the keywords people would use when searching.

This is sort of a new thing, but I know Matt C has written about it recently on his blog. Specifically about YouTube videos in that case.

This is great! I think it start making sense. Now how would it apply to a video that we host our self. If I put a transcript after or before how it will tell the SE that it is associated with the video? Would it be not different than the text I have right now on my index page?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!