• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Putting A Video On My Site

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

Well I have had several youtube videos on my site for months and months and if you do a search for video on my site it doesnt show a thing. Its basically as if they arent there. Even with a video sitemap it didnt help. Google just cant read youtube embedded videos.

You can see the youtube videos show up in results but they arent going to show on the site that has them embedded. I just did a check and its just urls from youtube but not my site. So yes you can see them in results and yes you can rank for them but its not direct traffic to your site.

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

So how would you put them on your on server so that they would be searchable? That's where I'm still confused.

#18 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Thats sort of my problem at least with my site. Right now I have a youtube video and my thought was put a text link to a physical location on my website below it. But I dont think Google will see this as being located on my home page which is what I want. The only other thing would be to put it there but then it would download the video every time the page loads and who would want that?

I am confused too because it seems rather difficult to actually do this. I saw I think VLC player play an embedded video on a site and somehow that "counted" but its not on youtube.

But if you do a site search using Google video my site still comes up empty. Yet theres a video linked right on the home page as well as a youtube video. Even using an advanced search on Googles page you cant search specifically for video for some reason so I think thats why you have to go to Google video.

But seriously no matter what I do its as if there is nothing on my home page as far as Google is concerned pertaining to video at least.

#19 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

But if you do a site search using Google video my site still comes up empty.

The video shouldn't show up in the SERPs as being part of your site, because it's not!

If you wanted your own page to show up you'd need to embed it and do so from your own server. Which of course has issues if you get much traffic. Videos can burn through a ton of bandwidth in a hurry, so you've got to have a pretty hefty hosting package.

#20 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

Well thats what I was sort of trying to do but it still doesnt seem to show up. I guess I am doing it wrong? I am supposedly on unlimited bandwith lol. I figured I would give it a whirl.

#21 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

But randy, why would it matter what server it's on?

#22 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

Because if you're doing a Video search as ogormask mentioned above, it would be advisable for the result being delivered by the Google Video Search to deliver the URL address most closely associated with the actual video file.

In this case that would be YouTube.

#23 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

If you host the video on your own server. What is the best format so most people can open it easily?

#24 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

I think flv is probably the best. mp4 requires quicktime as far as I know and I hate quicktime.

#25 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 9 2009, 11:45 PM) View Post
Because if you're doing a Video search as ogormask mentioned above, it would be advisable for the result being delivered by the Google Video Search to deliver the URL address most closely associated with the actual video file.

Well, if you're doing a search at regular google and type something like jill whalen technical seo video, both the youtube version as well as my page with the embedded version show up.

#26 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Right. But notice how it differs if you conduct the same search on the Video side of search?

#27 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

If you host the video on your own server. What is the best format so most people can open it easily?

It's a question that's certainly open to debate, but personally I prefer either flv or swf since there are flash browser plugins available for every browser out there and the compression algorithms tend to do a pretty good job of making the file size smaller without drastically affecting quality.

#28 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 10 2009, 04:24 PM) View Post
Right. But notice how it differs if you conduct the same search on the Video side of search?

Gotcha. Interesting how it differs. I wonder how many go to the video search tab as opposed to regular google search.

#29 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

I've not seen any official numbers on that at all Jill. Though they may be out there.

[now it's going to be time to wander way off topic]

However I will say that I stuck one of those hypotheticals in the last two search behavioral / market test group thingees I put on last year, purely out of curiosity. The test subjects weren't told what search engine to use or even to use a search engine at all for that matter. They were simply told to find (specifically) a Video on a certain subject.

Combining the data from the two groups totaling 100 test subjects...

9 went straight to YouTube to search there (8 of these were qualified as more advanced surfers)
64 went to Google
24 went to Yahoo
2 went to MSN/Live
and 1 went to Ask

Of the 91 that went to a search engine to conduct their search exactly 1 person clicked on the Video link. And he searched the normal way first, then clicked on the Video link. All of them started out with something like <search phrase> video or something like video of <search phrase>. In other words, everybody searching via a search engine had the word Video in their search phrase since that's what they were told to look for.

Note that the above doesn't have nearly a large enough sample size to support any data validity. And for the test subjects I generally try to target people who are not power users. That said, it's a question I intend to continue including in my little behavior test group sessions to see if the initial results hold up or were an anomaly.

I especially want to see if one little thing I noted during the test holds or not. Not a large percentage by any stretch of the imagination but 8% of the testers skipped right over (usually dual) YouTube listings at the top of the SERPs to pick another site to click on to visit. On the exit questionnaire we asked those folks if they purposely skipped YouTube (Yes they did) and why. About the most they could provide was that they'd heard about YouTube somewhere and didn't think what they'd heard was a glowing review. I'm not sure what that's about, but I've learned over the years to trust the testers if even a few people give you the same answer when something looks strange.

Like I said above, the sample size is way, way too small to determine any sort of pattern. But there were a couple of interesting results. The not-using-Video-search part I actually predicted. The skipping YouTube listings completely confused me. Still does. giggle.gif Who knows, maybe they subconsciously thought YouTube was only filled with Political stuff since both of my market group tests were during the Presidential Election last year and lots of candidates were utilizing the web and YouTube specifically. That's purely a guess on my part but might make sense considering subject matter we had them searching for had nothing to do with politics.

#30 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

But thats the problem with current search engines. You have to be specific... too specific. If you enter your keywords in shouldnt the SE return a search based on that regardless of the format? If a video is more appropriate return a video etc. But they arent there yet so people enter in video to be more search specific. smart searches know the limitations of the engines. Of course they also know what they might be looking for so if someone wants a text answer to their query it makes sense to not ask for video results because video is just plain slow to my brain compared to a text answer. I can read my answer from the meta desc without having to click. What advanced searcher doesnt do that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!