• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Putting A Video On My Site

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

I just got a professional video done for my site and I am not sure where to put it. Should it be directly on my index page or lon his own page. Also the company that created it offered me to put it on their server and i would embedded on my site. I am not sure what would be the best way to rank it. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

Put it where it makes the most sense on your site. I'd think about hosting it at Youtube rather than with the company who created it.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't put it on their site. You have no control if you do.

Whether to host it yourself or have it hosted somewhere else depends almost entirely upon how much bandwidth you have to burn with your hosting plan as well as how much you expect the video to be viewed.

In the same situation if I had bandwidth to burn, I'd host it on my own server. Easier, cleaner and 100% control. That's not to say I couldn't also upload it to YouTube or one of the other video platforms out there to bring over traffic and gain additional exposure.

If I didn't have bandwidth to burn I'd host it on YouTube, Amazon's S3 servers or one of those other major services that have redundancy. Being careful to choose one that didn't contain additional advertising of course. You can embed those right into any page and get the page to rank well by including some text about the video's subject matter.

#4 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:09 PM

Thanks, this is really good info. Now when you have a video that comes up in the search results. It does not matter what site or page it is.on It will show as the video by itself not the page it is on?

#5 donp

donp

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

Speaking of video (I'm a big believer), Matt Cutts really has some great quality videos on his blog, not talkng just content here, just quality of the video. Loads fast, looks sharp, good stuff. Wonder what he uses/how he does it?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

It will show as the video by itself not the page it is on?

No, it will show the page it is embedded on.

#7 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

If you are doing video in the least you should be using Youtube at least for the social networking aspects of it and the free bandwith is a plus too. Beyond that you may wish to host it yourself as they pointed out because an embedded video does not count as content on a page to Google.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

You could always ask him on his blog Don.

I don't remember Matt laying out exactly what he uses to make his videos, but I doubt it's a huge secret. Of course I don't exactly worship at the Altar of Matt, so he may have answered the question already and I've missed it. giggle.gif

Depending upon what you're doing with the video (eg is it true video of someone speaking, is it a capture of something on ones desktop, etc) there are different software kits to do it. The software can have a pretty large effect, not only in capturing what you're trying to capture but in how it compresses the final video it produces. For the software many, many folks have used one called Camtasia. I've used it for years for different projects. Like most quality video capture software it gives you several different formats to choose from when producing the final video.

Beyond the software, having a decent camera and/or microphone are important in producing good quality videos. And a computer that is hefty enough to handle the data input.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:23 AM

Beyond that you may wish to host it yourself as they pointed out because an embedded video does not count as content on a page to Google.

Can you elaborate on that a bit more?

#10 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

Well I guess I said that before a few weeks ago but as far as I know Google cant tell if you have an embedded Youtube video on your site or not. To Google its just not there.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

I'm confused as to how they'd know if you had an embedded video from your own server on there then. I'm having trouble discerning the difference.

#12 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

I think it has a physical location on your server then whereas an embedded YouTube video is physically located on YouTube. Google recently announced some more changes to video sitemaps and I actually contacted them and left a rather long comment but it doesnt look like they liked what I said or they arent allowing comments. I basically asked them why they cant read their own videos on a site.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

Just doesn't make sense to me. I'd be interested to hear from others who may have some experience with embedding youtube videos on their site as well as embedding ones from their own server.

I don't see why it would make a difference, but perhaps I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time!

#14 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

Last time I looked YouTube's robots.txt disallows a lot of spider traffic to several areas of the YouTube.com domain. So if you haven't taken that into account you'll want to.

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Really? Interesting. I think I typically see lots of youtube page show up in search results, but I'd have to double check that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!