• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Will Local Search Feature Hurt Rank For Other Cities?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnH

JohnH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

My company provides nationwide services and provides pick-up and delivery at the door. We've got custom landing pages for each of the major cities in each state. I would like to submit our company to Google's Local Business Center, but I'm afraid it might lower the SERP ranking for my landing pages. My thought is that Google would say, "This site is promoting that it's located in one city, so the other cities on the website must not be where it provides services, so we'll drop the relevancy score for those keywords." Does anyone know if there is any reason for my concern? Has this hunch been tested before? Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Local Search is intended (by all the major search engines) to be as closely tied to local, physical addresses as possible. If your company can supply local addresses on its landing pages, you probably don't need to worry much. If your company cannot supply local addresses, then your chances of ranking well in local search for cities where you don't have addresses decline as the Google system learns more about your company's geolocation.

Technically, you're not ranking in local search if Google doesn't tag your listing with a map. At least, I have not seen any indication of a listing appearing in local search separate from the map.

If you're only concerned about ranking in Web search queries that are qualified by city and state, including the city and state name on your page (like, "We deliver to Atlanta, GA") should help your geotargeted Web search results.

#3 Andy LoCascio

Andy LoCascio

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

The answer to your question is a very simple NO! The SE algorithims simply do not work that way. They take into account content and the quality/quantity of inbound partner links. The only thing that can hurt phrase rank would be a penalty of some kind. Adding your site ot the local search feature is certainly not that.

Just remember that a site can be good for many, many terms, and just because you have a strong rank for one term (for a specific city), it does not preclude the site for having a strong rank for other terms provided you have the content to justify. We have some client sites that have top 5 rankings for over 20 well trafficed fairly competitive terms.

#4 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

You can only submit up to 3 results through phone verification. Beyond that Google requires that they physically verify the address. I assume this is through sending a letter to the address and you being able to respond. If you dont have a physical location to do this you are stuck with 3 results. I have 3 just in my city which my intention was to have a location for each neighborhood until I hit the snag. I dont know any way around that beyond risking some serious consequences I would think.

#5 JohnH

JohnH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. From what I'm hearing, Google gives no more weight to a keyword that is a city than they do for, say, the word 'apple'" Of course, local search results will still pop up before other search results because Google does give them more weight.

To clarify, I'm not trying to game the local search system by pretending to have locations in all cities. I just wanted to make sure that submitting to Google's local search for one city (my city) wouldn't hurt my SERP ranking for general search results when people type in one of the other cities that we service.

However, I do know of someone in my industry that is pretending to have actual locations in each city. I can only assume that at some point Google will catch them.

Thanks again!

#6 internetdominus

internetdominus

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Personally, I think that local search is strategy created by search engine to benefit from local advertising.
The way I see it, the internet is tool to access, and reach the world, and not find the street on the corner that I know very well, plus if I wanted to search local, I would use the yellow pages, or get reference from friend or family about local businesses or anything I am looking for, and if I wanted to search locally on SE, I would type "Lawyers in Miami" or "Surgeons in LA", but I don't like the idea of typing lawyers, and get a list of only Miami lawyers, when maybe I am trying to find lawyers some where else, or lawyers with good recommendations from everywhere.

So, again I think local searching is about profit for SE through PPC ads, and of course for SEOs because it is easier to optimize for phrases like "bicycle store in Miami" than to optimize for bicycle store.

#7 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

I dont see any need to have a phonebook these days. It is a waste of paper and kills trees. I search for local businesses using the internet almost every single day whether its looking up a phone number or their websites. If you are not on local results you are missing the boat.

If you are a local business why would you not optimize your website locally? I dont know anyone who would try to compete on a national level if their business wasnt national. Search engines are designed to return the best result as specific as the information was inputted. Its not about selling PPC its about relevancy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!