• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Should I Consider A Google Reconsideration Request ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doughayman

doughayman

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

Hi all,

I have a 13-year old domain, that has about a dozen or so sub-directory based websites underneath it:

www.example.com/subdir1/index.htm
www.example.com/subdir2/index.htm
www.example.com/subdirN/index.htm

My domain shows up # 1 in Google if I type my domain name or Main Page title into Google. 10 of the 12 sub-directory based websites rank well overall, and 2 of them, which used to rank well, have tanked since June, 2008.

For these 2 sites, if I type the exact name of the site into Google, I never rank better than # 35 or so in Google.....similarly, for any long-tailed phrases pertinent to those 2 sites.

One thing I observed, is that during Google shuffling or filter application every couple of days or so, there is a relatively short period of time (maybe 10-15) minutes, where I will rank at # 4 or # 5 in Google (when I type the exact title of these sites into Google). But, once a "penalty" or "filter" is applied to this site during this shuffle period, I'm back down to # 35 or so. I am tipped off as to this occurrence, by seeing a flood of weblog activity for these sites, during these short durations.

OK, I'll get to the point now. It looks like some sort of filter or perhaps penalty is being applied to these 2 sites, but my domain as a whole, has been otherwise uneffected.

Given the above, is it worth my while to put in for a Reconsideration Request to Google ? I'm unsure of why I'm being hit on these 2 sites, however. Or, is it not worth using my silver bullet here, and saving it for something more worthwhile ? Those 2 sites were big revenue generators for me, and have since, fallen off the perverbial revenue map.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Regards,

Doug

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

Sounds like perhaps the content on the sites is too similar?

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

That's what I'm thinking too Jill. Either too similar to something else on your own domain or too similar to something on another domain.

That's where I'd start. Pull out a unique sentence or two from those non-ranking pages and see if you get any hits when you search for the exact text.

#4 Andy LoCascio

Andy LoCascio

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

Bill,

If you have the Google toolbar installed on your browser, the results you are seeing may not be accurate!!!

Google is capturing your saerch behavior and preferentially ranking pages that you have been to before. This is a big problem when trying to determine your rank data. It certainly explains the 10-15 minute window of respectable rank.

You definitely have a duplicate content issue, but when I hear about pages ranking in the 30-40 range I would also consider a stuffing penalty. Check your keyword density.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!