• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Buying A Website To Increase Rankings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

Hi,

Let's say I have a website that ranks on page 4 of Google for my main keyword. If another poor looking website ranks at postition 1 on page 1 for the same main keyword and I buy that website and 301 redirect it to my domain, will my rankings improve or ever be as good as this site? It's just that I've seen a hobby site that I could buy probably cheaply to improve my rankings.

Thanking you.

#2 internetdominus

internetdominus

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(logos1234 @ Mar 5 2009, 06:42 PM) View Post
Hi,

Let's say I have a website that ranks on page 4 of Google for my main keyword. If another poor looking website ranks at postition 1 on page 1 for the same main keyword and I buy that website and 301 redirect it to my domain, will my rankings improve or ever be as good as this site? It's just that I've seen a hobby site that I could buy probably cheaply to improve my rankings.

Thanking you.

And why not have two sites? Hosting is cheap these day, so having an extra site won't empty your pocket. If, however, your site is a forum, and demands a lot of time maintaining dbs or administering it, then why not keep the one on page one and redirect your site on page four of G to the site on page one of G.

Redirecting the site that ranks on page one right now to your site that ranks on page four of G, only tells google that the page on page one of G does not exist anymore, and that all traffic should be passed to your site which is on page four, so you will still rank on page four.

You could also buy the site that ranks well right now, and place banner to visit your site, and or create pages with content with links to your site which will eventually help your site rank better.

#3 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(internetdominus @ Mar 6 2009, 05:13 AM) View Post
And why not have two sites? Hosting is cheap these day, so having an extra site won't empty your pocket. If, however, your site is a forum, and demands a lot of time maintaining dbs or administering it, then why not keep the one on page one and redirect your site on page four of G to the site on page one of G.

Thanks internetdominus, but the lower ranked site is the one that looks good and on the domain I want to keep.

Redirecting the site that ranks on page one right now to your site that ranks on page four of G, only tells google that the page on page one of G does not exist anymore, and that all traffic should be passed to your site which is on page four, so you will still rank on page four.

As I understood it Google and the other engines should forward the link popularity of the old site to the new site and my thinking is therefore that if it does indeed do this then surely the ranking of the new site will increase. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

You could also buy the site that ranks well right now, and place banner to visit your site, and or create pages with content with links to your site which will eventually help your site rank better.

Yes, I could do this, although I don't want to damage my brand by having it associated with a poor looking site. The ideal situation would be to remove the old site and boost the rankings of the new site and I thought that a 301 redirect may be the answer.

Thanks again

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

As I understood it Google and the other engines should forward the link popularity of the old site to the new site and my thinking is therefore that if it does indeed do this then surely the ranking of the new site will increase. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

While it is generally true that a 301 redirect helps one to set up a link pop pass through of sort for pages that have gone MIA, you won't want to count on this absolutely being the case in a situation like you describe. You see Google reps have said in the past that they'll reset the PageRank of sites that have been purchased because they don't want people to be able to buy a good ranking. Which is basically what you're thinking about doing this for, right?

The truth is they don't catch every domain sale. There's just no single piece of data that they can rely on to give them a Yes or No answer when a domain sale takes place. They can however look at several things and see how many things change over a reasonably short period of time. Nobody knows how many they catch and how many they don't, so you should probably approach it as a 50/50 situation.

In other words, if you're talking about it costing you thousands or even hundreds of thousands to purchase the other domain, it may not be worth it if your main reason for doing so is to drive rankings. On the other hand, this other domain may have good links from lots of places that drive real traffic to it, or even have a a fair number of people who have bookmarked the site. So if you can purchase the domain for mere hundreds of dollars and your average visitor value is high enough it might pay off for you even if you don't see a ranking improvement.

It really comes down to how much it's going to cost you. In a Perfect World you'd want to eventually migrate links pointing at the well-ranked domain so that they point at your domain. Of course you could contact those people without making the purchase to see if they'd link to your site regardless of whether you made the purchase or not. Assuming of course your site is worthy of the links. The purchase and 301 redirect basically gives you the potential to shortcut this process a little bit. So the question becomes if this short term solution is worth the whatever it'll cost you to purchase the domain. Remembering that it's still probably a 50/50 probability the purchase/redirect will have any positive ranking effect.

#5 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

Hi Randy,

Many thanks that is really helpful. I didn't realise that Google looked out for this kind of thing and tried to prevent passing link popularity. I hoped I was correct that link pop should be passed. I have experienced this with a redirect I did with one of my sites to another site.

I'm not talking in terms of hundreds of thousands thank goodness, but I take into account the 50/50 risk of not passing any of the authority on through the redirect.

Yes, I am doing it for rankings and I do want to shortcut the link building process. smile.gif

So, I suppose the problem for Google identifying sold sites would be that the domain could relate to a company and could just be a consolidation of a company's sites, in which case it should give ranking benefit in an ideal world.

Thanks again.

#6 perfectmoney

perfectmoney

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

Yes I heard that news before,There is no instant PR for someone who buy abandoned domain with high PR already ,more over,after doing this ,I think google will weight you more to get Pagerank back,so be as natural as possible is the best way to get Google Luv.

#7 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(perfectmoney @ Mar 7 2009, 01:51 AM) View Post
Yes I heard that news before,There is no instant PR for someone who buy abandoned domain with high PR already ,more over,after doing this ,I think google will weight you more to get Pagerank back,so be as natural as possible is the best way to get Google Luv.

I disagree, I am eternally hopeful and know through experience (and from reading here) that the Google Luv as you call it will come maybe 50% of the time. I think there is the possibility of instant PR. I'm not talking about an abandoned domain, I'm thinking about a person with a 'hobby' website who hasn't monetised it to its full extent, it may be worth $1000 to them but more to me. I agree about being natural, but there's natural and then there's being an SEO running a business, simulating 'naturalness' as it were, if there's such as word.

Perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way in not being natural, but I feel I have to 'play' the search engines because it works and the people that approach me to get ranked higher generally have poor websites. Even top companies have poor websites, so who's got the budget or nouse to do SEO and develop - yes the forward thinking and informed ones, but not all of them. This is why I simulate 'naturalness', and hope that future clients that I deal with take my advice and build a website with remarkable offers or content, usability as a given as well as accessibility, but in the real world of &%$! websites what to do? I'm not quite at the stage where I can turn down a client because I disagree with their Online Marketing/ business ethos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!