• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Way To Combine 2 Powerful Websites?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

My website is one of the most powerful ones in its industry in the UK. My company is thinking of purchasing another website that has similar Alexa ranking and is also rated highly by Google (according to listings).

What would be the best way to combine these websites to get best results for both, so that listings for the main keywords rise even further? Our current website has about 1500 pages (according to Yahoo) and the one we are looking to buy has more than 3,000.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

Assuming both sites are targeting visitors looking for the same thing from the same market, you could simply 301 redirect each of the pages of one domain to the most appropriate page of the other domain.

#3 internetdominus

internetdominus

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

First check via Wayback machine if the site you are planning to buy is older, or has been crawled years before your site. If buying site is older, then redirect your site the buying site, if not do the opposite. This I recommend because search engines prefer/like most older sites.

301 redirects are fine when you want to redirect five or ten pages, but writing 301 redirects for 1500 pages will drive you crazy, so instead I recommend you copy/paste all content that is not duplicate to the site you want to use, and then use rewrite module and regular expressions via .htaccess to redirect all pages from unused site to move pages on new site. If you are not familiar with regex and rewrite module, people can help you here, and other forum, or search wikipedia to get an idea.

If it is an ecommerce site or community site, you could a sign up form to each page of the soon to be obsolete site requesting people to sign up to your newsletter, and email them when everything is moved to new site. This way you gather a big load of email for future newsletters.

Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!