• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Mynameserver.com Was Decomissioned But Still Works...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:45 AM

I'm in the process of making some changes to the domains I look after and I've noticed something weird.

A while ago I was using one of my domains as a nameserver, but decided for various reasons to go back to the generic nameserver provided by my server management company. In making the recent changes to my domains I've noticed that one of them is still pointed at the old nameserver and is still working.

So, for clarity: I was using ns1.mynameserver.com as a nameserver, and example.com pointed to it. I stopped paying for a custom name server and switched all of my domains (including mynameserver.com) to point to ns1. genericnameserver.com. Example.com got missed and is still pointing to ns1.mynameserver.com and seems to still work perfectly well.

Would this suggest that even though I've stopped paying for the nameserver service the hosting company haven't switched it off or is something else going on?

Or does it mean that one can just use any domain as a nameserver and the underlying nameserver of that domain will be passed along somehow? If so, what are the implications for accessibility/seo/etc.?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:50 AM

Would this suggest that even though I've stopped paying for the nameserver service the hosting company haven't switched it off

That would be a reasonable guess.

Hard to say for sure what's happening without digging into the details. But all it really takes is one remnant out there somewhere that's pointing to an IP number of the correct server, and a server that's set up to answer for the query. This can happen for several reasons, including the possibility that the server is set up to answer for wildcard subdomains.

If you want to track it down a little farther, here are some nslookup queries you can run from your Windows command prompt window.

A basic nslookup for "yourdomain.com" that will use whatever DNS your ISP would normally use.
CODE
nslookup yourdomain.com

An nslookup that'll query using the actual nameserver information listed in the domain registration, where the nameserver is set as ns1.somedomain.com.
CODE
nslookup yourdomain.com ns1.somedomain.com

An nslookup that'll query your server, where the server ip number is 12.34.56.78.
CODE
nslookup yourdomain.com 12.34.56.78

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Randy, I'll look into that.

Sorry it took so long to respond - barely had time to breathe this week!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!