• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Subdomain Combining...options And Advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Convergent7

Convergent7

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

I have a customer who has www.example.com and shop.example.com. The www is hosted on GoDaddy and the shop is hosted by an ecommerce site. The problem is www and shop are competing with each other despite the same domain name.

Obviously we'd like to combine them but the ecommerce does not lend itself well to non-shopping pages and articles so we need to leave it where it is.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to combine them while maintaining separate hosts or perhaps, a way to let the search engines know they're the same and actually one big site?

Thanks!
Erik

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

They are the same site/domain. shop is just a subdomain of example.com. It's fine to have both assuming the content is not the same on each. If they each serve their own purpose, it shouldn't be a problem.

#3 Convergent7

Convergent7

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

Okay, good to know. It seems inefficient that on many search terms both sites come up for the same term and we feel like we're losing value and could be ranked higher if they were under the same, complete site. But what I'm hearing is that is not relevant.

Thanks Jill.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

I guess the best way to explain why it's not really a problem is to remind folks that the search engines rank Pages, not domains. So unless you'd not be making some fairly drastic changes in how all of these pages link to each other when trying to merge things together, there's probably not much to be gained. The pages rank where they do because they're both relevant for the search terms, regardless of whether they're on the www or shop subdomains. They'd probably still do that after merging things too.

Assuming you've got some links on those www pages that are showing up for product terms have a good user friendly link that will shoot rabid visitors looking to buy right into the correct page of your store (and that's the way I'd recommend constructing those info pages even if were all on the www address) you're effectively getting two bites at the proverbial apple when the two pages end up competing with each other in the same SERP.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(Convergent7 @ Feb 27 2009, 08:07 PM) View Post
Okay, good to know. It seems inefficient that on many search terms both sites come up for the same term

Most companies would pay good money to have that happen...

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,587 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Look at it this way. You're not competing against yourself, you're blocking your competitors from holding more positions on the same results page (and increasing the odds that visitors will land on one of your pages).

Then, assuming that you've done your job in relating your articles to your products and linking from non-ecommerce pages to appropriate ecommerce product sales pages, you have maximized your potential for making sales.

This can actually be an advantageous set up if you approach it with the right mindset. smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#7 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

This can actually be an advantageous set up if you approach it with the right mindset.
Kacheeng!!!! cheers.gif
Most companies would pay good money to have that happen...
Kacheeng!!!! cheers.gif

#8 Convergent7

Convergent7

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Great...I appreciate everyone's input on this and feel better that the path were on is not one where we're hurting ourselves.

#9 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

Convergent7, I think I understand your concerns. You have two different pages appearing in the search results for the same query. Let's say they are at #5 and #7, for the sake of argument. Your thinking is probably that if all the "ranking power" of those two pages was channelled into one page, that one page may rank higher than the current two, e.g. at #2. The resultant clicks and sales from one page ranking higher (at #2) would be better than from two pages ranking lower (at #5 and #7). Is that a fair summary of your concerns?

In addition, if both pages were on the same subdomain, both would still be listed in the above scenario. The page that is currently listed #7 would be listed indented under the page at #5, i.e. it would be promoted.

All-in-all. then, you are not getting the best results possible with the current setup. However, you are getting pretty good results, as previous posters have pointed out.

If you wanted to improve the ranking of one of the pages, it may be possible to do so by modifying the current links between them. However, such differences may be marginal. You'd be better off concentrating on optimising the content of both pages and improving quality and quantity of the links to the page you wanted to rank higher.

#10 Convergent7

Convergent7

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

Excellent summary and very helpful for me. I will work on optimizing both pages placing emphasis on two different but similar long tail keywords...that way they'll rise but there will be some separation for additional traffic in related phrases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!