• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Secure Admin And Indexing Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oneofthe3lions

oneofthe3lions

Paz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

Hey :-)

I am building, or rather having built to my instructions a booking system that will advertise our partners to users, in essence.

It is built with php.

I have created the search modules etc and have also had to create 2 admin panels. One for us as superusers and one for our partners to edit their details that will display during this search.

Both admin panels require a log in.

Now this area is new to me so i wonder about several things.

After log in, the browser does not change to a secure page, i.e https or anything so how secure is this? Are there things that should be in place in this aspect?

Should I let these pages be indexed by search engines? Does it matter one way or another?

On the actual search box that a user will complete, it will of course pull information from a database, these result urls will be static but 'look deep'. i.e w3.ourwebsite.cOm/search/booking/serviceprovider.htm; Will these urls be found and indexed by the search engines themselves searching this php database? Or will I have add them into a sitemap to get indexed for example?

That will do for now..

Appreciated as always thumbup1.gif

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

Unless the search engine has a login ID and password or you've coded your access module to allow them to bypass the login security (which would be a huge, risky hole in your security I would think), they can't index password protected pages.

If the only way to access the results is by filling something in on a form (search box, whatever), those pages will likely not get indexed. Pages generally need a static link (that is, a link coded in to the HTML of a page) pointing to them to get them spidered, which is the first step of indexing.

Including them in an HTML site map that is itself linked from other pages on your site will potentially get the process started, but IMO these search results pages will likely require additional links pointing to them to keep them in the main index in the long run.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 oneofthe3lions

oneofthe3lions

Paz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Torka,

I kinda get the basics, just didn't really know if the html database pages could somehow be accessed/spidered though this initial form process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.