• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Not Getting Any Pagerank

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vaishali123

vaishali123

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

Hi

I have a query. I am doing SEO for my site [link removed] I have submitted my site to 3 search engines namely, Google, Yahoo and MSN around 15days back. Lateron I started submitting my site to various directories and social bookmarking services sites. I have also started doing linkbuildings, have got few backlinks also. I tried to do forum postings and tweeting on twitter.com but my account got blocked as I did lot of postings in a single day and they consider it as a spam.

So far till today I have got around 140 hits in last 7 days. when will my site start getting any rankings?. My targetted keywords are Support. Technical Support and Software testing. (I have yet to start with article and press release submission )

I checked with WebCEO software it gave me a report saying my site is still invisible for search engines. why so?

Please help.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

You won't see that you have any PageRank until the next Toolbar PR update. As a general rule those updates happen every 3-4 months.

As far as when you'll start ranking for your keywords, that depends. Mainly upon how well you've done your optimization. It sounds like you're shooting for some pretty general and therefore probably competitive keyword phrases. So it may be years before your start ranking well for those particular phrases. You'll probably want to do some further keyword research. There are bound to be hundreds of closely related, less competitive phrases for which you could optimize.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

I have a feeling you're not talking about PageRank but more that your page's are not ranking.

Since your site sounds like it's pretty new, you're going to have to keep working on it for a good 6 months to a year before you'll start getting any decent search engine traffic.

Read the Tips for Newbies to make sure you've optimized it correctly and continue to build up high quality links pointing to it.

#4 Andy LoCascio

Andy LoCascio

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Here is a good benchmark for you; New sites with 80-100 quality partner links seem to be reaching failry stable rank in three-four months. How high the rank goes is dependent on competition and your contenand inbound parter links. If you want your rank to stabilize sooner, you need to add more high quality/relevant links.

The one thing we are seeing again and again is that the Google rank has more stability as it improves.

#5 PaleMoonLight

PaleMoonLight

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

PR is going to take some time before you see anything, just as Randy mention. Research your keywords some more, narrow it down to something less broad. If I was you I would spend time doing that for now

#6 scottys88

scottys88

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hello, I have tried uploading my site to a number of directories for my local area as well as national directories, however when I look at what back links I have to my website there is the same number. I have looked at the exact URL that my website is been linked from which has no PageRank but the actual homepage for the website is ranked at 6 I thiink. So I guess my question is, does the actual URL that your link is on have to be ranked to show up as a backlink to your site?

Edited by Jill, 17 May 2009 - 07:38 PM.
removed site as per forum rules

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

It's the page your link is on that matters.

That said, don't worry too much about toolbar PageRank as it's only updated about 4 times a year and it's not accurate anyway.

#8 Andy LoCascio

Andy LoCascio

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

Here is the deal...from our observations and loads of testing, this is what we found;

You can have additional pages other than the home page of a site that show toobar pagerank. These are pages with a significant number of inbound partner links. We ASSUME that outbound links from these pages are credited with the toolbar page rank for that page.

However, most of the time, the only page with toolbar pagerank is the home page. Outbound links on pages directly beneath the home page (linked to) are credited with the home page toolbar rank - 1, pages linked from those pages are credited with toolbar rank - 2, etc. So, just because a page that is linking to your site has no toolbar pagerank, the link still has value (of course).

I am not in such a hurry to totally write-off pagerank. It may have some meaning. I would not profess to any idea of how it could possibly be used in the algorithm for determining phrase rank (much more important). But we have seem many cases where sites with very good phrase rank have loads of mostly irrelevant inbound partner links (from sites with good pagerank). This suggests that somehow Google is attributing value to these links.

Has anyone every heard the Google folks deny the pagerank has no connection to phrase rank?

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

Has anyone every heard the Google folks deny the pagerank has no connection to phrase rank?

What is phrase rank?

Outbound links on pages directly beneath the home page (linked to) are credited with the home page toolbar rank - 1, pages linked from those pages are credited with toolbar rank - 2, etc.

You are correct, that this is often what you see on sites, but it doesn't have to be that way. It's not simply because they are one-level below the home page, or whatever. It's due to the internal linking structure, in general.

I am not in such a hurry to totally write-off pagerank.

PageRank, the real kind that Google knows about (not toolbar PR) is extremely important and should definitely not be written off. But unfortunately, the toolbar version is an inaccurate, buggy, representation of the real thing. It can provide some value, but that's about it.

#10 Andy LoCascio

Andy LoCascio

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

Sorry about throwing around the term "phrase rank" without a little better explanation. Unfortunately we have built our own little SEO culture here and often forget that the terms we use are our own.

Phrase rank is how we describe the Google rank (result number) a page has for a specific keyword phrase. We only use pagerank when referring specifically to Google toolbar pagerank.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

Well in that case, of course PageRank has an effect on where a page ranks for it's relevant keyword phrases. And yes, of course Google says this since it's a piece of the algorithm.

But like I said previously, that's real PageRank that has an effect, not toolbar PR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!