• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Niche Or Variety Of Products

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Keep Safe

Keep Safe

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

Hello,
I have had an e-commerce site open for about 6 months. I am Google page 2 for a couple items but in general not very good. I am working on it. My question is this: I have around 110 products for sale and the theme, if you will, is baby safe products but they are a little random (nanny cams, strollers, baby feeding, and more). This is a very wide brush stroke an next to impossible for me to have as keywords to pursue (safe baby products). I sell a few items that are baby SAFETY items, ie safety gates, electrical outlet protection for babies, etc. I am wondering if I should drop the items that don't really fit into my company name and website. The company "The Keep Safe Company" and the site "keepsafeco dot com" . Do you think I could do better narrowing my keywords, seo, etc. towards say maybe the baby gates or pursue the more broad baby safe products? If I narrow, do I remove the other products from the store or let them sit and see what happens? Will removing indexed items hurt my rankings? I hope this made sense and I look forward to any input.
Charles

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

Welcome, Charles! bye1.gif

You're coming at it all wrong. The name of your company has nothing to do with what words your pages will show up for in the search engines. You don't have to limit the keywords you optimize your site for to ones that relate to keeping stuff safe.

Every page of your site can and should be optimized for its own set of keywords. So your nanny cam pages would be optimized for the phrases people search for when looking to purchase a nanny cam, etc.

Please read the Tips for Newbies as that will help you understand a bit more about SEO. You may want to look into an SEO class or at having an SEO consultant review your site for you as well, if you find it all overwhelming.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,618 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Additional thought: having a wide variety of items doesn't seem to have hurt Amazon.com or Walmart.com in the rankings any...

Neither has having company/domain names that don't specifically relate to all (or, in fact, any of) their products... smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!