• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Landing Pages

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deldove

deldove

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

this excellent site has really made me question what my web site is up against out there

through wordtracker, ive now noticed that some of the search terms of my competitors get high rankings but lead to essentially a single 'landing' page on which is a a single link to their main web site

i have three questions then:

1. is this presumably good seo policy?
2. if above is a good idea, wouldnt a 301 redirect be better than relying on me to click on?
3. what is the competitor essentially trying to do here?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Are these basically orphaned pages on the main domain? Or even on different domains? I'm not sure I'm completely clear on the question.

Anyway...

Every page is a Landing Page. Whether you want them to be or not. Because of the way Search works you have very, very little control over which page of your site any given searcher might land on.

So while I wouldn't recommend a setup like you've outlined, where those <cough>landing pages</cough> only link one time to the main site, I would recommend you review each page of your site as a potential landing page and make sure each will meet or exceed visitor expectations. Because some will land there, sooner or later.

#3 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

I bet they don't get the conversions you're imagining they do. High traffic is not equal to sales. My suggestion would be to build your site so that any landing page helps to convert a surfer into a paying customer.

I see all too often on my sites' pages (that rank well for a given term) not convert because that page didn't deliver what the searcher was looking for. For example, I have many thousands of pages about manufacturers that rank very well in the SEs. However, due to them being purely historical info about the manufacturers and not yet linked (associated) to product pages of the manufacturer (who's products we sell) the user clicks away without spending anything. It's very frustrating to see 100+ visitors/month for a single manufacturer search not generate any income (multiply that by thousands). I'm working it tho. It's a gold mine worth mining.

Therefore, if you've got a page devoted to Nabisco and don't have any Orios or Chips Ahoy! for sale on that page, then you're not making any money. Got Milk!

#4 deldove

deldove

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:02 AM

hello

yes - the pages that i saw were a single page per keyword as a separate domain in each case. when you landed on it, there was a link to their main domain.
no doubt there was a link back too. I was wondering if this was a good idea

If I sold cakes :-) would an alternative be to create an optimised page per key search term - ie cakes/rock cakes and cakes/carrot cakes.. albeit that most of the pages would look identical to one another?

#5 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:31 AM

I don't mean to patronise, but these were definitely organic search results weren't they? The only time I have seen multiple landing pages as you have described is for paid search where it is good practice to do this, usually though these pages are noindex.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

They're called doorway domains. And if they're in the organic listings, the search engines typically are not fond of them. While they may temporarily work as you are noticing, there's a good chance they may eventually be penalized or banned. (Or maybe not.)

But in general, it's not good SEO practice and is really one of the oldest tricks in the book.

It's fine for PPC landing pages, however.

#7 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 24 2009, 02:26 PM) View Post
They're called doorway domains. And if they're in the organic listings, the search engines typically are not fond of them. While they may temporarily work as you are noticing, there's a good chance they may eventually be penalized or banned. (Or maybe not.)

Shows how little time I've been in the game, these had mythical status by the time I started doing search, a bit like the loch-ness monster, you heard people talking about them, but never saw them, guess I need to brush up on my "retro" tactics

#8 deldove

deldove

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

no - you're not patronising me at all I am new to all this (anyway, patronising means talking down to people you know :-)

they were definately non ppc pages

going back to my previous question then:

would a better tactic be so have a separate page per key optimised term but within a single domain then albeit that most of the pages would look identical to one another apart from where ive seo'd them?

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Feb 24 2009, 02:38 PM) View Post
Shows how little time I've been in the game, these had mythical status by the time I started doing search, a bit like the loch-ness monster, you heard people talking about them, but never saw them, guess I need to brush up on my "retro" tactics

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

Would a better tactic be so have a separate page per key optimised term but within a single domain then albeit that most of the pages would look identical to one another apart from where ive seo'd them?

Well not exactly. A better tactic would be to simply optimize the existing pages of your site for the keyword phrases that they relate to. A handful per page should suffice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!