• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Clean Urls : Extension Or No?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BLang

BLang

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

Ok, so I've been tasked to perform some basic SEO on the company website (I'm typically the database / server admin and general programmer), and I need to get some of these things addressed quickly. Thanks to this site and some other research, I'm getting the hang of it, but I do have a couple of nagging questions, the first of which is in regards to "short URLs".

I'm used to using Apache's mod_rewrite to create short, clean URLs, but am not certain as to which is more relevant of these two styles:

example.com/some-content

-or-

example.com/some-content.html

I personally prefer the former, but does a SE index a URL with an .html (or otherwise) extension "better"?

Related question, does a page with a .html extension do better than one with say a .cgi or .php extension?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

Makes no difference whatsoever. Without an file extension is fine, with a file extension is fine, with .html is the same as .cgi or .php or .asp or .htm, or you could even make up your own extension as long you've configured your Apache to handle it.

The search engines don't care one iota. And besides, they don't even trust file extensions. They key on Mime types.

#3 BLang

BLang

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Feb 23 2009, 08:33 AM) View Post
The search engines don't care one iota. And besides, they don't even trust file extensions. They key on Mime types.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Excellent, I appreciate that, good advice.

#4 incrediblehelp

incrediblehelp

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

I would go with a sub-directory format just because it is easier to manage the site down the road.

#5 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

I would go with a sub-directory format just because it is easier to manage the site down the road.
Not to be disagreeable, but that's more of a pain in the arse than anything. Especially with 10s of thousands of products. Using a sub-directory method means putting your categorization in the URL. Yuk!

Separate the product page from the categorization and simply have the page at the root like www.hisdomain.com/thispage or www.herdomain.net/thispage.html. The page can now live in any category happily and this makes 301s, user back links and crawlability (is that a word?) easier. The categorization is handled by the dB and not the URL/URI. Why is this important? What happens when categories change or the product is added to another category? Hmmm. Lost or duplicate content.

#6 incrediblehelp

incrediblehelp

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

Sure BB if you dealing with 10K URLs then it makes sense to have pages at some point.

#7 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:18 PM

Sure BB if you dealing with 10K URLs then it makes sense to have pages at some point.
I've never worked with less, but even still my methodology is built for growth with no side effects or pains that will continually flourish into the horizon. You don't want to build yourself into a box that restricts or destroys growth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.