• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Extensive Interlinking Within A Subdirectory Architecture

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doughayman

doughayman

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

Hi all,

I have a domain that I've owned for about 12 years, for which I have about 10 websites, each of which is contained within a subdirectory of the domain. For example,

www.example.com/subdir1/index.htm
www.example.com/subdir2/index.htm
www.example.com/subdirN/index.htm

Related to the above, each and every page within this subdirectory-based website has a footer link, each with the SAME anchor text for its respective subdirectory site - e.g., "Return to the Blue Widget Main Page", which points to its corresponding main subdirectory page at:

www.example.com/subdirN/index.htm.

Assuming that I do this for each and every subdirectory-based website (there are 10 of them), will this potentially initiate a Google penalty for either:

a) Over interlinking ?

cool.gif Lack of Variation of Anchor Text ?

Please keep in mind that this is all happening under the auspices of a single domain, and from a user's perspective, I want to reference the corresponding main site page from each page, in case the user arrived at the sub-page from a search engine.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

It's perfectly natural for a website to link back to its home page from every page of the site (in fact, that's considered good usability). It makes no difference if the website is contained on a subdirectory, subdomain or on a standalone top level domain all its own.

Smaller sites often link to every page of the site from every other page of the site. Again, this is just good usability (as long as there aren't too many pages involved). With a dropdown menu to help organize the links, its even possible for a medium-sized site to link to every page from every page without messing up usability. Both of these things are also perfectly normal and natural.

Sites typically use the same anchor text on every page for links that are part of their internal navigation. Again, this is standard procedure and good usability. Imagine how confusing it would be if on some pages of the site, the home link was called "home page" and on others it was called "main page" and on others it was called "index page" and on others it was called "default page" and on others it was called "top level page".

What you're talking about sounds to me like perfectly normal and natural site architecture and internal navigation. There's absolutely no reason for search engines to even think twice about it, much less penalize it.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 doughayman

doughayman

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

Torka,

Thank your for your reply and assessment. I agree with you on the usability front.

Thanks,

Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.