• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirect For Website Redundancy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Doors

Doors

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

Background
I have two servers and a few websites.

Problem
If a website goes down for whatever reason I would like to get it up as quickly as possible.

Solution
Using a 301 redirect on the main domain to a sub-domain:

example.com → website_on_server1.example.com

and then if the the web site goes down changing where the 301 redirect is pointing:

example.com → copy_of_website_on_server2.example.com

Each of the sub-domains would be on different servers. This would safeguard against one of the servers dying.

To ensure that search engines didn't see any duplicate content I would use either the robots.txt file on the copy of the website (on server 2) or the new canonical url tag.

Questions
If I did this would there be any significant penalty from the search engines?

Would there be a minor penalty from using a 301 redirect?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

Welcome Doors ! hi.gif

Long story short...

You don't want to do it that way and in fact can't do it that way using a 301 solution. The crux of the issue being that the 301 would in essence need to be implemented on the original server, and if the original server is dead it would not be alive to deliver the 301.

What you'd want to do instead if set up what is commonly known as a round robin DNS, where the nameservers point to two different servers. So if the first server being pointed to by the nameservers were dead the domain would automatically swtich to the second server. As a bonus, this sort of setup doesn't require any special use of subdomains, nor does it result in any duplicate content issues.

#3 Doors

Doors

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hey Randy,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to look in to this as I haven't done it before. I'll let you know how I get on.

#4 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

Or buy a content switch and load balance the two servers. One goes down no problem.

#5 Doors

Doors

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(BBCoach @ Feb 24 2009, 02:29 AM) View Post
Or buy a content switch and load balance the two servers. One goes down no problem.

I had a look at the price of content switches and they were quite expensive (it's all relative I suppose though). Thanks for the suggestions though!

#6 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

I could be wrong on this, but couldn't you use DNS ? i.e. nameserver1 is your primary domain, and nameserver2 is your secondary host ?

You could also have some generic problems that will redirect via a 302 to your backup server, I would NOT reccomend a 301 for this purpose... your essentially saying the backup is now the primary, then you won't be able to use the 1st server as a backup (imagine them ping ponging back and forth!)

Gerry White

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!