• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Changing Domains

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 louandel

louandel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hi,

The my current site is a co.uk. It is a hobby site for cat lovers. I have this weird idea that a .com site is more likely to be picked up by a wider audience. i.e. outside of the uk and more internationally. Is this likely?

thanks

louandel

#2 Ryan@SEOBackup

Ryan@SEOBackup

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

It's not a weird idea at all! tongue.gif

At the end of the day, a US resident will be more likely to visit US and international domains than a .co.uk...etc. The same applies to a UK resident and an Australian domain.

Also, you may find that the site won't rank as highly for people searching in countries other than the UK. Google knows where the website is hosted, what part of the world the domain belongs to, and also where the majority of links come from. I bought an expired .com site that had all it's links from Australian sites & for the life of me couldn't get it to rank anywhere other than the Australian Google search.

I'd go with .com & make sure you get plenty of links from various countries (mainly US & UK).

HTH

Ryan

#3 louandel

louandel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Thanks. I think i will change to .com (and thats a good tip about the links.)

But when I change do I need to let google know in any way? Or Dmoz etc? Also, the .com domain has been hanging around for 6 months (no pages on it). will it take another 6 months before google catches up with it. In other words is the site likely to go missing for a bit? pr.gif

Thanks again

loundel

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,715 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

If you're going to replace the .co.uk site with the .com site, you will want to 301 redirect all the old .co.uk pages to their corresponding .com pages.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

Please see our pinned thread and the others in the International SEM Issues Forum for more info on this topic. (Moving this one there as well.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!