• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

From Seo Perspective, Should I Create A Blog Or Build A New Website?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mbaocha

mbaocha

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:31 AM

I need to market an ebook as an affiliate. I have 2 options,
1. create a website and share my experience regarding the book and encourage people to buy the ebook via my affiliate link.

2. do thesame thing as in 1 above but this time using a blog.

the advantage of 2 above is dat by virture of the fact that the blog site has been around for ages, it has comparitive advantage (Age has some effect on how well a site optimizes )over a site i just develope.

the advantage of 1 above is that i'll advertise the book in my parent link not sublinks.(search engines rank parent pages higher).

So from an SEO point of view, what will you suggest? what is most professional?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

It's not really an SEO question at all in my mind.

The question I'd be asking is how well the idea of promoting an ebook on (whatever subject) fits with the overall tone and what's offered on the existing domain, from the visitors perspective.

If it'll look odd to real people visiting your site because there's no real connection, using a new or different domain would be best. If it fits with the general focus of the main site because the subject area is similar, then it's probably worthwhile to use the existing domain.

#3 Ryan@SEOBackup

Ryan@SEOBackup

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

I'd use the blog. Aside from any SEO value, if the blog has been around for a while, you will hopefully have the trust and respect of your readers & they will be more likely to follow the link & your advice.

HTH

Ryan

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(mbaocha @ Feb 21 2009, 02:31 AM) View Post
(search engines rank parent pages higher).

Really?

Depending on the search term, I have plenty of interior pages that outrank "higher-level" general pages.

In my experience, it depends on how well the desired pages are optimized for the desired term(s).

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

if the blog has been around for a while

According to the original post, it hasn't. It'll be a new blog. Or new pages that are not part of a blog. So even on the SEO front.

Do what's best for users.

#6 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

I always come out strongly in favor of the blog alternative in a situation like this. Blogs inherently have much more search-engine visibility and also generate rss news feeds that brings in another slice of prospects.

I agree with Randy that ultimately what counts is what works well for users/readers. However my judgement is that you could lose a bit on the user preference side but make it up on the search-engine visibility side by using a blog.

#7 jason.baptiste

jason.baptiste

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

BLOGGING IS THE BEST AND MOST PROFESSIONAL WAY OF ADVERTISING YOUR EBOOK .However you can also try book review sites , you can write an article or PR about the ebook and then submit it to various PR directories i think thats also the effective way.

#8 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE(jason.baptiste @ Feb 24 2009, 12:55 PM) View Post
BLOGGING IS THE BEST AND MOST PROFESSIONAL WAY OF ADVERTISING YOUR EBOOK .

There is no need to shout.

I would dispute that blogging is even a form of advertising, anymore then filming a tv advert is advertising, it's not the blogging or the filming that reach out to customers it is what you do with that medium once you have it. You advertise a blog, you can't advertise with it.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

A blog is a website. Blog software is just a content management system. It's simply a tool.

There's an old saying, "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Don't get suckered into thinking that the specific tool you choose is the most important part of the decision, or that one tool always trumps all others in terms of effectiveness. In the final analysis, it doesn't really matter which tool you use. If you know what you're doing, you'll get good results. If you don't know what you're doing, well... dntknw.gif

You can give a klutz the finest rare woods and a complete set of the best woodworking tools in the world, and they'll give you a pile of sawdust. Give a master woodworker a few pieces of used plywood, a beat-up hammer and chisel and a few sheets of sandpaper, and he'll create a masterpiece.

It's not the tool; it's the skill of the craftsman that makes the difference.

If you're comfortable using blog software, then set up your site using that. If you're comfortable with some other content management system, use that instead. If you're a hand-coder from way back, use Notepad to create pages by hand. If you want to, and you know what you're doing (or are willing to take the time to learn), you can add yourself all the bits and pieces (like RSS feeds) that blog software includes.

It's the sales copy you write, the links you get pointing to your site and how well you advertise it that will determine how much traffic and how many sales you ultimately get. Most of your visitors will neither know nor care what back-end software you used to create the web pages they visit.

The specific tool you choose doesn't matter nearly as much as how well you use it.

My penny.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#10 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

I would go blog. Its more adaptable. Sure you can do anything with a website but you can do all that with a blog. websites are better for static content. I know thats not necessarily true but it really sort of is. If you want to write about a product go blog. If it were 100 products then maybe a site with 100 pages but 1 product is better on a blog where you can write 100 pages about the 1 product. Much more focus.

#11 webmanager

webmanager

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:31 AM

Use your strongest domain and create a subdomain. Connect it with your new blog. A blog is better for a link building (blog rolls, blog directories, building blog friendships, etc.). And: a blog is easy to use for everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!