• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Reached A New Level Of Knowledge In Seo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mr Biggles

Mr Biggles

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

I think I have finally reached the point where I now know enough to know I dont know very much about SEO. Its taken about 3 or 4 years of hobby like attention to get this far.

At first its demoralising but then I realised, everything I have ever been good at, I had to get to this point first.

So now comes the painstaking work of actually trying to learn the areas I am deficiant in.

First thing I have learnt is that decent and unique content with an easy to navigate site is not a shoe in for a popular site.

Since taking a fair bit of time analysing what very popular competitors are doing that I am not, I have come to the realisation that paid links play a very big part in popularity, wether thats changing in the near future, who knows but it certainly seems to have a big influence on rankings at the moment.

I ventured into the pay per click arena a few years ago and was stunned at first how easy it is to get started but how incredibly complex it is to be good at it, I have not touched it since but may take the dummies guide back of the shelf in the near future.

During this time, I have only really ever used the forum here for advice and links. I think its better to stick with a reliable source than to get bogged down with all the noise that is out there.
However I recently joined up to the Seomoz site which is part of what has given me the insight as to how defficiant my efforts have been over the last few years. But on the plus side at least there is room for plenty of improvement.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

Since taking a fair bit of time analysing what very popular competitors are doing that I am not, I have come to the realisation that paid links play a very big part in popularity, wether thats changing in the near future, who knows but it certainly seems to have a big influence on rankings at the moment.

It's not that they're paid for that plays a part. It's links, in general, that are important. Well high-quality ones.

I ventured into the pay per click arena a few years ago and was stunned at first how easy it is to get started but how incredibly complex it is to be good at it, I have not touched it since but may take the dummies guide back of the shelf in the near future.

You do realize that PPC links are not links that get counted for SEO?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.