• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Same Content, Different View

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnnybravoh

johnnybravoh

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hello all,

First of all I posted this same item in the technobabble board because I thought it was technical. It actually isn't really that technical so I figured I would post here as well. Please let me know if this is a no-no...

I have a site where businesses are listed with their contact information, a photo and the beginnings (first 30 words or so) of a longer description of their business. At the end of the first 30 words of the description, there is a more... tag which when clicked calls a "bare" version of their complete profile shown in a thickbox overlay. The bare version of their profile is a standalone page.

I have placed the meta tag <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" /> at the top of the bare version of their profile because I don't want that version of the page getting indexed. I have another version of the same page that has the full graphical wrap of the site that's triggered by placing a ?Full=true at the end of the URL. This is the page I want indexed by the search engines.

The question is this: Is there any reasonable, above board way to get spiders to get to (and index) the full version of the profile page naturally - e.g. if i detect the user agent is a spider, make the link that it would follow the full graphical version (technically I can do this pretty easily I just want to know if it will ding the site for seo)? The only other way I can think to do it is to create a sitemap with the full graphical profiles as part of it.

I hope I've been clear in this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jon

#2 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:29 AM

The biggest question is why would you want the search engines to see a pretty page, and users to see a bare page? surely you will get a better reaction from users if they get to see the pretty page? Additionally the search engines will ignore your page styling anyway, so I'm not sure what SEO benifit you perceive you will get from doing this, and finally, this is technically cloaking (showing one page to search engines and another to users) which is a big no no, because the search engines want to see what you are showing your vistors, they do not want pages designed specifically for them.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

If the page one sees after clicking the "more" link has significantly more content beyond those first thirty words, I'm not clear on why you wouldn't want the search engines to pick that up.

#4 johnnybravoh

johnnybravoh

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Feb 20 2009, 12:29 AM) View Post
The biggest question is why would you want the search engines to see a pretty page, and users to see a bare page? surely you will get a better reaction from users if they get to see the pretty page? Additionally the search engines will ignore your page styling anyway, so I'm not sure what SEO benifit you perceive you will get from doing this, and finally, this is technically cloaking (showing one page to search engines and another to users) which is a big no no, because the search engines want to see what you are showing your vistors, they do not want pages designed specifically for them.

Because if the profile is found in the organic results, i want the end user to see the profile in the context of the site with all of the navigation so they can browse to other parts of the site if so inclined.

What the user sees is not necessarily a "bare" page. The profile is presented as an overlay (using thickbox) and as such, it looks waay too busy to display all the graphical "stuff" surrounding the pertinent information for the user.

[removed link as per [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url]]

Click on the "more..." link for any of the agents and you'll see what I mean about a "bare" version of the profile.

Now here is an example of the "bare" listing as a standalone (which I don't want google to index because, as you can see if a person browses to this page there's not really anything else to see):
[removed]

Now here is an example of the listing I do want google and people that choose to follow the organic link to see:[removed]

I hope this clarifies a bit better.

Jon

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

Johnny, you can do what you want to do via CSS where all the info is contained on one page so the spiders index it all, but where you only show the portion you want to people, until they click the more link. It's perfectly fine and search engine friendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.