• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Changing Url?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EGS

EGS

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:49 AM

Err...

I'm considering making a switch with one of my sites over to a different domain name/URL. I'm wondering if this will negatively affect my SERPs...?
I guess a smart move would be to 301 redirect everything from the old domain to the new one? Must be easy since pages will be the same name...just the domain will be different.

Currently the site in question has about 130,000 pages indexed in Google.
Well, any help and/or advice is appreciated.

#2 Ryan@SEOBackup

Ryan@SEOBackup

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

In short, your rankings will likely be affected in the short term. They should, however (in theory), be restored after x amount of time. (sorry to be so vague).

In my experience, as long as you have exactly the same content/structure on the new site as the old, this should reduce the affect on your rankings. It is also good practice to update as many of the backlinks as you can. Obviously, this won't be possible with every link, but for things like directories, articles & any other links you have access to - change the link to the new domain.

I have never done this & not seen my rankings return in 3 months (usually 1).

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

If there's not a good non-SEO reason to change the domains I would recommend against it. As said above, there will be some short term damage to your rankings.

From a time frame perspective, it's difficult to give you an exact estimate.

Assuming you do everything perfectly, set up proper 301's, etc, etc I've seen it range from 2-3 weeks to as much as 3 or 4 months. Usually on the shorter end of things. On average the timing I've seen is 4-6 weeks with at least a bit of struggling.

So if you're going to do it and have a good reason for doing it you're best option is to pick a time of the year when business is normally at its lowest point. Not that this will speed up the process any, but at least you'll be able to limit the financial downtime.

#4 rrjnsy89

rrjnsy89

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

I would advise you against the URL change too, unless you have a really good reason, it would set you back and it could take you some time to get back up to where you were before the change.

#5 internetdominus

internetdominus

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE(EGS @ Feb 19 2009, 04:49 AM) View Post
Err...

I'm considering making a switch with one of my sites over to a different domain name/URL. I'm wondering if this will negatively affect my SERPs...?
I guess a smart move would be to 301 redirect everything from the old domain to the new one? Must be easy since pages will be the same name...just the domain will be different.

Currently the site in question has about 130,000 pages indexed in Google.
Well, any help and/or advice is appreciated.

But why the need to change the url? If you already have a known brand url, and good traffic, why change it? Unless, it is someone elses brand, and you are legally being forced to change it. Otherwise, keep the url with good traffic.

If you change it, all backlinks that point to your current site, will have to be changed to, otherwise, when your site goes of those links will point nowhere, and if people click on one of those links, they will get an error message if the redirect is not live anymore. GYM will simply see that the site does not exist, and erase that back link from their dbs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!