• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Do We Make The Changes Or The Client?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IBW Solutions

IBW Solutions

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to Internet marketing, seo and so on....
I've worked on my website re all the seo work and have achieved good results, I seem to know a bit about Seo and Internet marketing and am giving people advice which matches what I read in books, on forums and so on.

I have started a site to advertise my services and aim it at travel companies as my main business is holidays and also small business owners who have poorly optimised websites.. my questions are this:

Do i make the changes on the clients site or do i give it to the owner to change or do I speak to the web designer?
Do i charge more if I make the changes?

I know my site really well but someone else's could be trouble.

Whats the standard practice?

Iain

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

Welcome Iain ! hi.gif

and am giving people advice which matches what I read in books, on forums and so on.
I have started a site to advertise my services

A dangerous idea that, so you'll want to be careful with it. Hopefully you realize that much of the stuff you might read about SEO is complete crap that is being made up by self-anointed "experts" who have no more experience or expertise than you do. And selling any consulting service where one has limited limited experience if fraught with potential legal gotcha's. So be very, very careful what you promise. Or simply donate your services to a few folks to start building up a resume.

As to
Do i make the changes on the clients site or do i give it to the owner to change or do I speak to the web designer?
Do i charge more if I make the changes?

It depends totally upon whatever agreement you make with the client. But I wouldn't charge more if you actually make the changes. That's the easier path if you know what you're doing. It's much, much harder and more time consuming to have to wait for a client or their designer to make recommended changes. If anything I'd charge more for not being allowed to make changes myself.

Either way though, you'll want to make sure this item of who makes the updates is included in the original contract. Get it in writing so everybody knows the plan.

#3 IBW Solutions

IBW Solutions

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Feb 19 2009, 01:42 AM) View Post
Welcome Iain ! hi.gif
A dangerous idea that, so you'll want to be careful with it. Hopefully you realize that much of the stuff you might read about SEO is complete crap that is being made up by self-anointed "experts" who have no more experience or expertise than you do. And selling any consulting service where one has limited limited experience if fraught with potential legal gotcha's. So be very, very careful what you promise. Or simply donate your services to a few folks to start building up a resume.

Hi Randy, thanks for your response, I was in 2 minds whether to set up some form of SEO business because I didn't feel I was worthy but a number of people who's sites I have worked on plus my own sites are riding high in the search engines.
I've read the books, the articles, tested my own methods and spoke to people and then out of all of the info made what I feel are the right tactics. I'm not looking for large companies but just small business owners who need guidance and initial work done on their site. You have to start somehere I suppose.

Thanks for your feedback and the info on making chages to their sites, I aggree with you .

Iain

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

IMHO this is the most important thing you've said

tested my own methods

As long as you're testing you're in a much better position than most. To many start offering SEO services without really understanding much, because they've read some stuff (that may be right or wrong) and simply believed it with blind faith. So the fact that you're reading, applying and testing you're probably in pretty good shape. Much better than most.

You'll need those recommendations from past people you've helped out, regardless of whether it was for pay or not. Those sort of references are golden in any service-type industry. Smart clients-to-be will require some references before they hire you. So you'll want to cultivate those, even if it means doing a few projects for free.

#5 IBW Solutions

IBW Solutions

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Feb 19 2009, 04:48 PM) View Post
IMHO this is the most important thing you've said
As long as you're testing you're in a much better position than most. To many start offering SEO services without really understanding much, because they've read some stuff (that may be right or wrong) and simply believed it with blind faith. So the fact that you're reading, applying and testing you're probably in pretty good shape. Much better than most.

You'll need those recommendations from past people you've helped out, regardless of whether it was for pay or not. Those sort of references are golden in any service-type industry. Smart clients-to-be will require some references before they hire you. So you'll want to cultivate those, even if it means doing a few projects for free.

Thanks Randy for your feedback, thats great. I shall also get some testimonials and references - good point.

Kind regards
Iain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!