• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

A Strange Www Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Viejo

Viejo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

I work from an office in my residence and also from our shop. We have a domain issue with a client site in that from all locations other than our shop it appears that with or without the www prefix the domain is fully accessible. From our shop only the domain without the www launches the site in any browser on any workstation. Pinging www.thedomain.com finds the ip address from my residence but not from our shop. pinging without the www finds it everywhere.

We host clients on a verio server and use godaddy's dns panel for most domains, including this one. The server setups and dns settings are absolutely the same on this domain and for many other domains we handle, none of which show this problem. I've cleared caches, flushed the dns on workstations, etc., time and again, but this fixes nothing.

Can anybody give me a pointer to where I might find and resolve this problem. I'm out of ideas. .

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

It sounds like there may be some dns caching differences out there somewhere.

Are you saying trying one url version from one location automatically redirects to the other url version? You don't have anything special in your "hosts" file relating to the domain do you?

I'd start out by running a tracert on the domain from each location and then comparing it. And reviewing a hosts file settings in each location to see if there's anything there.

#3 Viejo

Viejo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Good call. From the system that refuses to launch the www version, tracert on the domain resolves, but on the www.domain.com it simply returns "Unable to resolve target system name www.domain.com" From my other location both domain and www.domain resolve normally. Strange!

It's getting late here for the office, but I'll dig into this in the AM.

Thank you Randy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!