• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Has My Home Page Been Indexed By Google?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rickibarnes

rickibarnes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

Hi everyone!

I am a web developer working on a site for a client. Said client has engaged another person for SEO purposes, who in the course of his work has looked at my company's website and told me that our home page is not being indexed by Google. So I have been looking into it a bit, and it seems to be a bit of a strange situation, which I will outline now:

1. The SEO consult has determined that our home page is not being indexed by taking a phrase directly from the copy of the home page, and putting it in Google in quotation marks. I have tested this, and true enough, if you do this Google finds no results.
2. If you do a search for copy from other pages of our site (again in quotation marks), as you might expect, Google returns the appropriate page. This is even though according to me, I haven't done anything different on the home page to any of the other pages.
3. Furthermore, if you put our company name into Google with no quotation marks, the first result is our site, and the link it gives is our home page.
4. Even further to that, if you do a in-quotation-marks search for copy from our home page in other search engines, it returns the home page. I have tested this with Yahoo, Dogpile and Exalead (I only ever use Google so I'm not sure which other ones are useful/popular).

So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me, is my home page indexed by Google or not? (Or possibly if someone could tell me how I can definitively work that out for myself tongue.gif ). Also I would like to know, if it is indexed, why can't Google find any of the copy that is on my home page? Or if it's not indexed, what can I do about that?

I don't have a robots.txt file, and (naturally) my home page is linked to all the other pages in my site.

Any help or insight on this would be much appreciated!

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

Perform a site:yourdomain.com type of search at Google. See if your home page is listed in those results. Typically it will come up as the first result.

Check to see if the home page listing has a little Cached link. Assuming it does, click on that link and see what they actually have cached.

#3 rickibarnes

rickibarnes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

OK, so I have eventually gotten around to following this up. I followed Randy's advice, and sure enough, my home page shows up and is indeed what has been cached by Google. So that's good news.

However, Google is still refusing to find any of the phrases on the index page, which I ascertained this by once again putting some in quotes. This is not good news, as far as I can see, as surely this will prevent my home page being found when people are searching for my key phrases.

I'm a bit mystified by this and hope that somebody might have some ideas as to why this is happening and how I could remedy it?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your previous advice, Randy.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

It sounds like a lack of link popularity or perhaps a penalty or perhaps a dupe content filter.

#5 Cathubodua

Cathubodua

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

Hello, Rickibarnes!

Let me tell you what I use to find out if my website pages are indexed in Google. If it's not 100% correct, I'd be happy to hear other suggestions.

First of all, I'm using the Google Toolbar, which has a PageRank info incorporated. Although this is not the real PageRank for a web page, I still consider it a good indication of whether a page is indexed or not. And that by simply looking at the info, which may say: "No PageRank information available" (this means for me that the page is not indexed) or "PageRank is Google's view of the importance of this page (5/10)" (which means the page is definitely indexed and considered important).

Second, I use Google Webmaster Tools for my website, which tells me what pages are indexed, whether I have links coming to my site from other sites and whether I have duplicate issues or any other types of issues. Although it took GWT a month to identify some links for my site, I still consider it extremely useful. That's basically Google coaching you to build a better website. smile.gif

Third, if you don't rank well for certain key phrases used on your website, try to optimize your meta tags, URLs and overall copy. Then try to obtain quality, relevant links for your homepage (as well as for deep pages) from other sites in your industry.

Last, as it was previously stated, it may be a penalty for duplicate content or something else, so you may want to check your site for duplicate issues.

Wow, this has been a looong post, I just hope you find something useful in it. smile.gif

#6 rickibarnes

rickibarnes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hi everyone! I haven't had the chance to follow this up for a while, as is often the case I have been more busy with doing stuff for clients than for my own company.

I've signed up for both Google's Webmaster Tools and Analytics, which as Cathubodua adivsed, is helping me to make my site better. Although we're still in the really early stages of that, so it may be a while before I get around to improving it.

Also interesting to note that without me having changed anything, Google is now finding copy from our home page in a keyphrase-in-quotation-marks search, how I would always have expected it to work. Strange but definitely good!

Thank you all for your help and advice on this matter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!