• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Search

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ckech71

ckech71

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

I have a question. When I search a specific keyword on google like "very nice hats" this is just an example, it is not the real keyword, Google indexes a specific "product page" of my website, instead of the page where there are a bunch of "very nice hats" for example. Why is google indexing my product page?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

Because according to Google's algorithm, that product page is the most relevant on your site for the phrase "very nice hats."

It could be there are several powerful links (or a whole pile of less-powerful links) pointing to the product page using the phrase "very nice hats" in their anchor text -- particularly if the category-level page has fewer inbound links with that anchor text phrase.

It might be the on-page text of the product page is accidentally better optimized for the phrase "very nice hats." Just because the category page displays a selection of "very nice hats," this doesn't mean the page itself has actually been optimized for that phrase. Note that "better optimized" is not necessarily the same thing as "contains more repetitions of the phrase," however. smile.gif

It could be the product page is only mildly optimized for the phrase while the category-level page isn't optimized for the phrase very well at all.

It could be due to awkward site architecture where a larger number or more important internal links pointing to the product page make that page more prominent within the site than the category page is.

Or it could be some other reason entirely. dntknw.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!