• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does Google Preferentially Crawl Google-affiliated Sites?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cristie

Cristie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

My blog was over a year old. I had written 1 to 3 posts every week, however, my blog would never show up in the Google blog alert which I set up. (I had a Google account, but had only signed up for Google alerts and Google Analytics.) Google would alert me to other blogs that mentiond my blog, but never show my blog. In January, I set up personal profile in my Google account and linked my blog to the profile. The next week I started getting Google alerts for my blog. Now I get a Google blog alert for every new post I write. I wonder if Google gives preferential treatment to its members.

I also wonder if a blog hosted on Google's blogger platform is preferentially indexed over blogs hosted on other domains. I began to suspect this was the case when I received Google blog alerts for five separate blogs hosted on Blogger (blogspot.com) that were only 5 days old. I set up a test blog with Google's Blogger and got a Google blog alert for the very first post of this new blog.

I think it would make good business sense for Google to preferentially search and report on web activity affiliated with it's company. Google will build its own links faster this way. Or maybe I am misunderstanding the relationship that Google has with blogs and its search engine activity. What do you think?
Thanks,
Cristie

#2 incrediblehelp

incrediblehelp

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

Do you have many back links to your blog?

#3 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

I have never seen any conclusive evidence that Google is more likely to index a google based blog then any other blog, or web page for that matter. You can set up a blog on blogger, put a post in it, and then leave it and it may never get indexed, just like any other kind of site. This is further supported, as you say you had analytics, if google were going to favour blogger blogs they would also favour sites that used their analytics software which is arguably worth more to them.

Was your site indexed by Google prior to you putting the link on your rpofile, it sounds like your blog may have been being mentioned but not linked to, preventing Google from finding it to index it, and so not seeing the posts tto put on your Google alerts.

#4 Cristie

Cristie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(incrediblehelp @ Feb 17 2009, 03:23 PM) View Post
Do you have many back links to your blog?

My blog has always been linked to a commercial website and over the past year has been linked to by numerous other blogs.

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Feb 17 2009, 03:23 PM) View Post
I have never seen any conclusive evidence that Google is more likely to index a google based blog then any other blog, or web page for that matter. You can set up a blog on blogger, put a post in it, and then leave it and it may never get indexed, just like any other kind of site. This is further supported, as you say you had analytics, if google were going to favour blogger blogs they would also favour sites that used their analytics software which is arguably worth more to them.

Was your site indexed by Google prior to you putting the link on your rpofile, it sounds like your blog may have been being mentioned but not linked to, preventing Google from finding it to index it, and so not seeing the posts tto put on your Google alerts.

When I checked my index rank at [removed] I find that my blog has been crawled regularly over the past year. But despite permanent links to my blog and this crawling, my blog did not show up in Google blog alerts until just last month. Is there some special way that Google blog alerts work? In contrast, the Blogger blog, Brimful Curiosities ( [removed] ) is showing up in my Google blog alerts every single day? I wonder if there is some hidden system at play here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.