• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Kind Of Redirect Possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

My recruitment client has their database of job listings feeding in from an outside company that provides the software.

When job listings show up - the URL features the software providers name, not my clients name.

The URL of the main careers page looks like this: software-company/NA1/ats/career/jobSearch.jsp?org=VCA&cws=1
It has a number of sites/pages linking to it.

Now that we are revamping their web site, this page will no longer exist.

I'm clueless as to how to handle this. Ideally I'd like this old page to redirect to a new static page on their site but don't know if that's possible as it involves two different web sites URLs.

Thanks, Caro

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question. So let me try to restate it to see if that's right.
  • Your clients site pages have links that point to another domain.
  • The pages on the other domain are going to change.
  • But the links are still going to point to another domain.

Is this the gist of it?

If so, no you won't be able to set up a redirect scheme. Just the link will change, but you cannot set up a redirect for a domain that is not under your control. The software company could (and should IMHO) set up redirects if they're changing the structure. But all you'd need to do on your end is point to the correct URL address.

Or are you saying those urls actually appear under your clients domain? eg www.YourClient.com/software-company/NA1/ats/career/jobSearch.jsp?org=VCA&cws=1 and not simply a link pointing to www. software-company.com/NA1/ats/career/jobSearch.jsp?org=VCA&cws=1 ?

If the url address is on your clients domain you could set up 301 redirects. How easy or difficult this would be depends upon the commonality in the url structure, what stays the same and what changes, and how easy it is to reference the changed part.

#3 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your detailed response. My clients site has links that point to the software company which hosts my clients job listings.

The link points to www. software-company.com/NA1/ats/career/jobSearch.jsp?org=VCA&cws=1

But in future, the link will point to a static page on the clients site.

So I'm guessing this answer is the right one: "...you cannot set up a redirect for a domain that is not under your control. "

But are you saying it would be appropriate to ask the software co. to set up a redirect to our new static page?

Thanks again

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

But are you saying it would be appropriate to ask the software co. to set up a redirect to our new static page?

Right. It would be nice if the software company set up some redirects. But it's seriously not going to hurt the clients site in any way. Since those pages on someone else's site don't count toward being part of theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!