• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Penalization? Algorithmic Change? What Then?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WesMcDermott

WesMcDermott

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hey,

Dilemma! A previous client has come to me saying his organic traffic from Google has come to a complete standstill. Now, I'm unaware of any major algorithm changes that could have caused this, and the client nor I have carried out any work in the last 6 months or so. Could penalization be the problem here? Who knows, the site is 8 years old and had some great rankings for several massive traffic terms and now...nothing! Surely penalization isn't the problem here! So what the heck is it then?

FYI The site is www.nipponautomotive.co.uk

Wes McDermott

#2 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:35 AM

What have you already looked at / ruled out.

Have there been any changes, has the client been doing anything that you're unaware of, have they literally not touched the site for 6 months?

#3 pood

pood

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

How long have you waited? If you and your client didn't do anything, the site should revert back in a few days, happens to my sites all the time.

#4 diglet

diglet

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE(pood @ Feb 17 2009, 04:32 AM) View Post
How long have you waited? If you and your client didn't do anything, the site should revert back in a few days, happens to my sites all the time.

Hi

When you say that it happens to your sites all the time, can you please expand on that.

This weekend I have seen a big drop in my sites. I have approx 10 sites which are all about 2 years old and they have many top rankings on google. However, this weekend they have all dropped down on every term between 20-50 places.

I only produce good quality websites with original content and update them pretty much on a monthly basis. Just cannot understand it. Do you think they will come back on their own?

Thanks

Mark

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

I'm not sure what there is to expand on Mark. There has always been fluctuation in rankings. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Additionally you'll often see it first happening on Friday's and Saturday's, if Google etal are testing a new algo tweak. They tend to test those over weekends a good bit.

Your situation may be the normal fluctuations, or it be different. You're dealing with multiple sites all owned and run by the same entity.

Have there been any technical issues over the last week or so? Has your server gone down or been unresponsive over the last week or so at some point? Do your sites interlink between themselves heavily? Do they each have their own incoming link profile or so lots of the same sites link to multiples domains?

It's impossible to hazard a guess as to what's happened without more info. I usually start out looking to see if there are any technical reasons that could cause a downturn. Once that's taken off the table, and assuming everything is on the up and up it usually comes down to an algo tweak. Most of those are temporary and things come roaring back fairly quickly.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(WesMcDermott @ Feb 16 2009, 07:29 AM) View Post
Dilemma! A previous client has come to me saying his organic traffic from Google has come to a complete standstill. Now, I'm unaware of any major algorithm changes that could have caused this, and the client nor I have carried out any work in the last 6 months or so. Could penalization be the problem here? Who knows, the site is 8 years old and had some great rankings for several massive traffic terms and now...nothing! Surely penalization isn't the problem here! So what the heck is it then?

I suggest you ask him about his link building practices. If he says he hasn't done anything in the last six months, ask him what he may have done in September 2008 with respect to acquiring links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!