• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Page Rank: The New York Times Vs Usa Today

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 world33

world33

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hello,

I am running a directory of worldwide newspapers ranked by web popularity. I have just noticed that one of the largest US newspaper, USA Today, does not appear in the first positions of the North American ranking of the top 100 newspapers. Being the ranking based on an alghorythm that includes, among other web metrics, the Google Page Rank I double checked the USA Today home page Page Rank and noticed that it is only 5. New York Times, which is first in the ranking, has a more reasonable page rank of 9. Now how is it possible such a low USA Today page rank and such a huge difference in comparison to the NYT. I am particularly puzzled considering that:
1) USA today is the largest national newspaper in the US
2) USA Today's homepage has more than 4MIL external links according to Yahoo site explorer where the NYT has around 2MIL (2008 data)

What I also find strange is that all the main USA today sections (News, Travel, Money etc.) have the same page rank of 5 like if it is equally distribuited !!! Can anybody explain this anomaly?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,618 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

Why We Say PageRank or Rankings Don't Matter

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Perhaps they are selling PageRank and have had their toolbar PR lowered because of it. (Just a guess.)

#4 incrediblehelp

incrediblehelp

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

Perhaps they have more traffic than NYT and you dont know that?

Edited to remove link because it produced a Sign Up only option to see the data. However if you go to Compete.com and plug in the nytimes.com and usatoday.com domains yourself you'll get Jaan's point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!