• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Suggest Vs. Google Keyword Tool

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jerry

jerry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

I don't expect the two tools to agree exactly and Google doesn't say over what time frame the Google Suggest data is covering, but look at the following examples:

Searching Google Suggest shows 5.78 million searches for the phrase, "Retire to Canada" and 1.61 million for the phrase, "Retire to New Zealand."

On the other hand, searching Google's AdWords Keyword Tool for the same two phrases shows 110 searches a month for "Retire to Canada" and 58 searches a month for "Retire to New Zealand."

5.78 million searches vs. 110 and 1.61 million searches vs. 58 searches, WOW -- When Google can't even come close to agreeing with themselves, what data should we believe?

I wonder how many people really search for the above two phrases? What am I missing when using these two Google Tools?

Jerry Minchey

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

You're not missing anything Jerry, sad to say. This is what makes keyword research so darned difficult. It's infuriating! If you let it be.

Part of it is how the tool you're using (no matter whether it's a Google tool or some other tool) factors in Exact Match, where the searches have to contain the exact phrase with nothing else. Some of it can be the data pool. Some of it is stuff just being missed.

At the end of the day there is little rhyme or reason, which is why most tend to use keyword research tools from multiple providers to get a little better feel. Though even then I can attest it's never factually correct.

This is why I put a lot more stock into my own stats, be they PPC campaigns I run or overall stats. From there I can usually extrapolate the traffic I'm getting + the position I show up + to some degree the copy or snippet that shows up and come up with a reasonable estimate of what the real traffic numbers should be.

#3 WesMcDermott

WesMcDermott

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

Best bet Jerry is to look at numerous keyword tools for terms alone, then for traffic numbers stick to one! You're just gonna drive yourself crazy. Like Randy says, look at your analytical data (which still isn't exact, but it's close enough) to find the approx traffic numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!