• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Email Address Branding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

We have a lot of email addresses for various websites but there are only two of us.
All the emails come into one inbox in Eudora with a relatively elegant handling/folder system.

The trouble is that Eudora has been abandoned by its parent and its replacement from a competitor is a ways away from completion.
Meanwhile the latest iteration of Gmail approaches the functionality we require.
We can do the whole transfer seamlessly without the client realising they are emailing a Gmail account.
Gmail offers some interesting advantages in its own right.

Except Gmail does not have multiple signatures and it would look rather stupid have 9 email addresses on the one standardized signature.

My question is:
How important is it for the email address be from the website concerned?
We have a directory domain for our websites and have a usable relevant generic domain handy.
Are email addresses a branding issue.
Is there a loss of confidence if the address and website do not coincide under one brand?

S

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

Are email addresses a branding issue.

They can be in certain situations Stephen. What you're dealing with here is User Perception, not necessarily reality. But you still need to be a little bit careful with it.

If people are contacting you solely for Support issues you can sometimes get past the email address issues fairly simply. What I'm thinking about here is where you make prominent mention on your sites that each of them is owned by and part of a larger organization. Then you use an email address from this larger organization to answer support requests.

As another option, one I've used in the past, you can pick up a little Support script that lives on each of the sites, or sometimes just in a single location. Have the support email sent to it (with a copy mailed to you so that you'll know something's there) and you'll respond from the script itself rather than from a normal email client like Eudora. These apps can sometimes be configured so that it'll either auto-select a From: email address based upon the original request, or at least give you the option of choosing which sending email address to use when replying.

I have to admit I don't do it that way though. I like to keep things separate. So I have like 10 versions of good old Eudora installed, sometimes one installation per site, sometimes I combine a couple of sites into one. I have my email addresses to each of those set up so that they maintain a copy and also redirect a copy to my main email address, the one that I actively monitor. When I get a request in my main mailbox (I don't even do anything special with it there) I open up my Eudora for that site, fetch the mail and reply. Then close it again.

Of course I can only get away with this because I don't get many support requests at all. Maybe one per day on average, from all of my sites combined. I guess I do a pretty good job with my FAQs and Knowledge Base stuff on my sites, because people use those a lot more than they ask a question. For this reason I don't need some elaborate support mechanism, thus I don't over-complicate things.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

One thing to consider, when contemplating using Gmail to send outgoing mail using other email addys as the "from" address...

I have a Gmail account configured with several "send mail as" accounts related to various domains I own. I just sent myself a test email from Gmail, selecting one of those email addresses as the "send from" address. My Outlook here at work, instead of saying the email came directly from the "send mail as" email addy, instead says it came from
myaccount@gmail.com; on behalf of; Diane Aull [email-account@mydomain.com]

In other words, while Gmail says it "sends mail as" that domain email account, in reality, at least in some email clients, it might be possible for people to see the underlying Gmail address. If you want to keep the existence of and your use of this Gmail account basically hidden, this might be a concern. dntknw.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#4 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

Ouch!!!
Read the fine print - I should of.
Okay it is not a clean setup like I thought.
Thanks Torka

Randy - I hear you re support questions.
I have a gazillion FAQ etc and lots of accessible info but in the end we actively encourage contact as people usually do not fork out $1000s online without a conversation first.
We can get 5-10 hot enquiries daily plus many casuals.
Eudora is great for its folder, signature and email address management as one inbox.

Odysseus is almost out of Beta.
Many eudora users are waiting on this as a Eudora replacement

S

#5 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

I was able to get around the "From" issue acceptably but found this in the Gmail help file.

This may be the deal breaker - Gmails get bounced

Why are some of the messages I send returned to me and marked as spam?
Some organisations, like SpamCop and Sorbs, keep track of email spam so email providers/ISPs can use it to prevent spam from being delivered to their users. Occasionally, Google Mail is listed on SpamCop because we do not reveal the IP address of our users. As part of our ongoing effort to protect every user's privacy, we do not reveal IP addresses. Unfortunately, this can cause delivery problems for Google Mail messages because some email providers/ISPs reject all messages sent from services listed on SpamCop and Sorbs.

Neither SpamCop nor Sorbs intend for their lists to block all Google Mail messages. In fact, both organisations recommend that their lists are not used as 'stand-alone signals' in blocking spam, but unfortunately, this recommendation is sometimes ignored. As a result, some messages sent from Google Mail might be delayed or even bounced back (in which case you would receive a failed delivery notification).

We take every measure to make sure that all valid messages are delivered and we are working hard to reduce delivery problems. While we continue to address this problem, we ask that Google Mail users experiencing delivery delays or Google Mail users whose messages are bouncing back to their accounts, to please inform the recipient's mail provider about the issue.

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Interesting. Learn something new every day!

I wonder why Big G has taken the position of protecting spammers using their system by hiding the senders IP address? That kind of flies in the face of everything everybody else does!

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

Stephen, just out of curiosity, how did you get around the "from" issue in Gmail?

I know it's not as fancy as Eudora, but I've used Pegasus Mail for years and always been very happy with it. (Especially considering the price -- free.) It has all the filtering, multiple-email-address-sending-from, different-signature-for-each-identity, etc. type stuff that I've needed... and it's been around, like, forever, so in my experience it's been really stable.

Just a thought...

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#8 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

My header looks something like this

Sender: me@gmail.com
Reply-To: S@WCH.com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:11:46 -0800
X-Google-Sender-Auth: 5d68e6deccc3ddf7
Subject: Test for Torka
To: Torka <anybody@anywhere.com>

I setup multiple sent from domains and reply to settings in the gmail settings
There are some interesting new addon widgets too.

I find the above acceptable even though the sender is gmail

S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!