• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Frauds

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rrjnsy89

rrjnsy89

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hey, Iíve been reading about click frauds and it seems pretty scary stuff, is there an estimate on how good are the techniques used by google or other search engines to stop this?

#2 rocker314

rocker314

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE(rrjnsy89 @ Feb 5 2009, 09:01 PM) View Post
Hey, Iíve been reading about click frauds and it seems pretty scary stuff, is there an estimate on how good are the techniques used by google or other search engines to stop this?

You may check them on Scam Search. I think you can find some answers there if they are really into frauds.

#3 Dave Collins

Dave Collins

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

Be aware of the possibility of Click Fraud, but don't lose sleep over it.

I believe that Click Fraud is the primary threat to Google's future. They have more to lose than their advertisers, so they're going to be on the ball.

I wouldn't worry unduly. Not with Google anyway.

#4 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

I believe that Click Fraud is the primary threat to Google's future. They have more to lose than their advertisers, so they're going to be on the ball.

Which in my opinion is why G! keeps quite about it, it happens far far more than most think and far far far more than G! will ever admit.

People earn good livings from it, so you tell me , is that not serious enough?

#5 tcolling

tcolling

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Mar 12 2009, 06:15 AM) View Post
...People earn good livings from it, so you tell me , is that not serious enough?

How do they do that? Do they get paid by companies to click on competitors' ads?

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

For traditional PPC they'd set up an Adsense account (or similar) where they get paid for each click on each ad, then direct a lot of fake clicks at it.

Even if one had zero ethics it's still not advisable, because when push comes to shove it's still theft and a person can go to jail for that. Fairly easy to track down the culprits too, since the money is traceable.

#7 Dave Collins

Dave Collins

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Mar 12 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post
Which in my opinion is why G! keeps quite about it, it happens far far more than most think and far far far more than G! will ever admit.

People earn good livings from it, so you tell me , is that not serious enough?

There are a lot of advertisers who *really* know what they're doing, and as part of their account management, keep an eye out for suspicious activity. We do, and we're not alone.

Sorry, but I don't have much patience for the "Google keep quiet about it" school of thought. AdWords people are a vocal and online-savvy crowd. If click fraud was anywhere near as common as you think, we'd know about it.

Note that I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Just that its very rare.

With the hundreds of accounts we've worked with, we've only ever seen one case. And Google refunded the whole lot in full. Plus if you check your account you'll see that Google often refund minor "suspicious activity" amounts without being prompted.

Aluminium hats often obscure the vision :-)

#8 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

Sorry, but I don't have much patience for the "Google keep quiet about it" school of thought.
Maybe you don't doesn't mean that it isn't true or that I don't see countless posts around the net saying the same thing.

We've even been victims of account fraud, so seings I have have documented 1st hand eveidence of the fact, I think I'll beleive the facts rather than someones hear say smile.gif

#9 Dave Collins

Dave Collins

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Mar 16 2009, 11:38 AM) View Post
Maybe you don't doesn't mean that it isn't true or that I don't see countless posts around the net saying the same thing.

We've even been victims of account fraud, so seings I have have documented 1st hand eveidence of the fact, I think I'll beleive the facts rather than someones hear say smile.gif

People say a lot on the net. They're often wrong :-)

If you really were the victim of fraud, then I assume you were issued a full refund by Google?

We use software to dig through the data to determine whether there is fraud. Most people who think that fraud had taken place are simply incorrect.

also, perhaps we're both missing the main point - how do you define fraud?

#10 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

then I assume you were issued a full refund by Google?
nope they stole our money, and tried to charge us for the fraudulent charges.

The account has never been given back nor our money!

how do you define fraud?
obtaining money thru deception kinda counts don't you think?

#11 tcolling

tcolling

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Mar 16 2009, 09:27 AM) View Post
nope they stole our money, and tried to charge us for the fraudulent charges.

The account has never been given back nor our money!

obtaining money thru deception kinda counts don't you think?

I have to say, this has led me to think SERIOUSLY about not allowing our adwords ads to be put on the "content network". Tell me if that's just TOO paranoid, please.

- Tim

#12 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

Yep, it's TOO paranoid. smile.gif

Run a separate campaign for the content network, absolutely. Limit your exposure by bidding lower than you do for the search network. And watch it like a hawk. But don't just write it off without even giving it a test.

Some people find the content network to be a waste of time. But others see significantly better ROI from the content network because the bid costs are typically a lot lower. It depends on what you're offering, how good you are at writing the ads, how well the landing page works, etc.

The only way you can know how it will work for you is to give it a try. And it might not work. But if you never try, you could be giving up on a lucrative ad channel and leaving a lot of sales on the table without knowing it.

My penny.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#13 tcolling

tcolling

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:53 AM

Ok, thanks for suggesting a separate campaign, Torka. I think that sounds like an excellent idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!