• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Powerline Networking

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the help.

Odd coincidence - since I posted earlier I got a call from the guy who installed a new fusebox a few months ago. He wants to bring an NIC inspector over on Friday for some sort of QA assessment so I'll ask him then - funny how these things work out sometimes.

#17 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

hysterical.gif

I believe it's called Good Karma. Especially since it'll save you a service call fee. wink1.gif

#18 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

What a great idea...

I just stripped some wires, and plugged my router into the mains and took the street out!

I reset the trip switches and took the village out, total darkness!

I think I will give up on networking.

Its far easier to carry the tower, keyboard, screens, mouse etc upstairs, rewire the incoming asdl line to the bedroom and then do my work there. When Im finished, lug it all down again and re-connect the line.

Gota go, the police are knocking at the door... smile.gif

#19 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:12 AM

I believe it's called Good Karma.

Seems a reasonable conclusion - although I'd prefer a lottery win lol.gif

I just stripped some wires, and plugged my router into the mains and took the street out!

LMAO reminds me of a story (urban myth?) about a guy who bought his son an electric guitar and wired it directly to the mains.

#20 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:15 AM

hysterical.gif don't try this at home kids!

#21 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(madams @ Mar 11 2009, 10:07 PM) View Post
What a great idea...

I reset the trip switches and took the village out, total darkness!

I think I will give up on networking.

Its far easier to carry the tower, keyboard, screens, mouse etc upstairs, rewire the incoming asdl line to the bedroom and then do my work there. When Im finished, lug it all down again and re-connect the line.

Gota go, the police are knocking at the door... smile.gif

lol though Cisco do make some BIG routers that require threephase power "Proper Job" as andy from Scrapheap Chalenge would say

#22 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

Bet the thing will break now i've told everyone how great it is!
Never a true word spoken in Jest eh lol.gif

Went home this lunch time to find one of the adapters has fried!

No power, no network, nothing! It's not even a year old.

I will be taking it back to PC World tomorrow, they should simply replace it as it's less than a year old, i'll post back with the customer service experience I receive.

But apart from this component failure, I still love it! best networking device i've ever bought (well when it was working wink1.gif )

#23 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:01 AM

Well, i was quite impressed with PC World as it goes. OK had to wait for 30 minutes before even being served. Who are these 'Tech Guys' , are they on a brain share scheme?

Anyway, the particular make I originaly had 'Advent' wasn't available any more, and others they did have were 30 quid more expensive, they offered to split the difference down the middle, and swapped them without any fuss or hasle.

I ended up with a 'devolo', not heard of them myself but the 'Tech Guy' said they were the first to bring powerline networking and recommended them over the 'Belkin', though the belkin were much nicer design, I thought reliability was more important than looking good!

Setting them up was a nightmare compared to the old advent ones, I plugged them in and nothing, the box said 'no software required', so after about 30minutes messing around, switching things off and back on again, I gave up and decided i'd take them back and swap them for the belkin.

However, the missus had a search on the internet and found a few threads, saying there was a software disk that needed to run?

A bit confused, I took the box completely apart and sure enough hidden underneath a layer of packaging was a CD disk? A bit puzzled that the box said 'no software required' that they were 'plug & play' plus, hiding the CD in the packaging , I loaded the CD up.

I got a box requesting me to set a password and another option to 'ADD' adapter serial codes, so I entered the code from the device downstairs and bingo, the network was up and running.

So for me, ignore the box, ignore the plug and play, dig to the bottom of a wierd folded piece of cardboard to find the disc and run the 'dLan' software otherwise they don't work!

They also seem to come with a button on the adapter for simple 'one touch encryption', which is a bit puzzling, why if they are encryption capable aren't they just on as standard, why would I want to have to press a button to encrypt data transfer?

Perhaps just another gimmick to claim it has 'additional features' I guess, unless someone can advise the point of this button?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!