• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Inconsistent Web Page Counts In Google

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Whane

Whane

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

When researching keywords, one of the first steps I take is to look at the total number of web pages that contain my target phrase, I realize this is not an indicator of who is actually competing but it helps me to get an overview.

Recently I noticed that the number of pages found in the index for one phrase increased dramatically. I can understand a sudden drop due to an index purge... but a sudden increase?

Within 2 months this phrase went from 430K to 9M, then 2 weeks later to 58M (broad match). Excluding the possibility of a sudden popularity increase, what are some other reasons for this seeming inconsistency?

#2 internetdominus

internetdominus

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE(Whane @ Feb 4 2009, 02:21 PM) View Post
When researching keywords, one of the first steps I take is to look at the total number of web pages that contain my target phrase, I realize this is not an indicator of who is actually competing but it helps me to get an overview.

Recently I noticed that the number of pages found in the index for one phrase increased dramatically. I can understand a sudden drop due to an index purge... but a sudden increase?

Within 2 months this phrase went from 430K to 9M, then 2 weeks later to 58M (broad match). Excluding the possibility of a sudden popularity increase, what are some other reasons for this seeming inconsistency?

Yes, strange but is it a popular industry? related to sports, latest news? Hollywood sites, or a boring old industry that should not change that much?

Also, did you see what happens for those same keywords on other search engines? how about checking them by different datacenter to see what show each in terms of pages indexes, and serps.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

These kinds of fluctuations happen every year. It usually means that Google has made some minor algorithmic change OR that they are recrawling the Web OR that they are pushing out new data OR that you just happened to see one data center go offline and another take its place.

Generally speaking, it's usually not productive to focus on radical changes in estimated search results as they tend to be unverifiable and inflated anyway.

Every query you run at Google is processed by something like 1,000 computers. They have to bring a lot of data together quickly and the first indication of raw results is highly untrustworthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!