• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What's The Latest Thinking On This Blatant Seo Trick?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

If the pages have a 100% bounce rate, how do you have any idea whether visitors are finding what they're looking for or not?

It seems you're making a blind leap of faith by assuming this to be a fact without other evidence to prove that it's a true statement.

#17 petri

petri

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:50 AM

No hard evidence of course.

Here's the reasons I'm assuming it;
1: My title is a very good (often exact) match for the searched words.
2: The content is exactly about what the title says.
3: It's a long article (2.700 words) dealing entirely with this subject.
4: Many of the visitors doesn't have any referring links. Bookmarks or suggestions from friends?
5: My position has slowly risen from many pages down up to #1

#18 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE(mcanerin)
I'll tell you another thing, if I could convince my clients to link to their hard-working, underpaid SEO, I'd do that too
Presumably you would want those links to be labelled with nofollow in order to express the commercial relationship between you and your clients wink1.gif

QUOTE(Randy)
And here's where I have to put on my other hat.
Interesting post Randy, and for the most part I agree. My thoughts on Ethical SEO are centred around the idea that all search "stakeholders" - search engine, searcher and site owner - need to be equally well treated; this maps directly to happy, converting searchers being good for both the search engine and the site owner. This is where search marketing has to head.

Where it gets interesting is the idea of a "conversion" and whether it is consistent among all stakeholders and across all keywords. For example, an e-commerce site owner may consider a conversion as a sale, whereas Google may prefer commerce to be driven through their Adwords channel, with natural search providing less commercial results (or at least results focused on a different phase in the buy cycle, such as "Learn"). Likewise, different keywords map to different needs and different "conversions" - there is no consistent standard. For some sites, a short "Avg Time on Site" may be good; for other sites it may be bad. For some sites a high bounce rate may be good. For pretty much every metric and every keyword, there will be an example site where less is good and an example site where more is good. It will be an interesting challenge for the search engines to figure these mappings out, and on an ongoing dynamic basis!

#19 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:36 AM

Did I read that right Randy...

You have a 90%+ conversion rate? notworthy.gif

What's the weather like in your neck of the woods, got any jobs going!

#20 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Mar 9 2009, 06:36 AM) View Post
Did I read that right Randy...

You have a 90%+ conversion rate? notworthy.gif

Randy's good, but I'm pretty sure he's not quite that good (at least, not yet... give him time, though). wink1.gif

If I'm reading the same post you're referring to, I think he was saying that 90% of webmasters have never thought through what they really want their site visitors to do.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#21 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

this was the post...
Hence a conversion. I hate to say it, but based upon my own experiences I'd say 90% or better have never given it a moments thought!
it certainly reads to me that in his experience he get 90%+ conversion and never thought anything of it.

To be honest neither did i, clever sod!

#22 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

hysterical.gif 1dmf you're such a silly goose. You forgot the sentence that came before that, which puts it all into context.

QUOTE(Myself)
I'm constantly amazed that most webmasters don't know what they're trying to convince people to do. Hence a conversion. I hate to say it, but based upon my own experiences I'd say 90% or better have never given it a moments thought!

As in less than 10% of webmasters out there don't even know what they're trying to convince people to do on their own site. Or less than 10% realize they're trying to convert visitors into customers because they don't yet know what constitutes a conversion for their site.

It's pretty hard to have a inkling of an idea of how to improve conversions if you don't first know what counts as a conversion. giggle.gif

That said, I do in fact have traffic on some keywords and from some affiliates that convert at over a 90% clip.

If I ever got all traffic to each of my sites to reach those kinds of levels for just a couple of years you'd not see me anymore. I'd have already bought myself an island somewhere out in the middle of the south pacific and retired there. wink1.gif

#23 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

That said, I do in fact have traffic on some keywords and from some affiliates that convert at over a 90% clip.
knew it, see I didn't miss read anything. So i'll say it again notworthy.gif , we're not worthy, we're not worthy!!!

I guess it can be difficult to work out what you want people to do and so loose direction or focus on how to convert your visitors.

But that said many sites (like some of mine), aren't trying to do anything other than just be out there!

Until Dance-Music.org had a 'newsletter', there was no conversion metric to measure, ok I could count how many people have listened or downloaded a track or album, but to be honest ,i'm not interested in the number, just as long as who ever has listened enjoys the music.

That's not an easy metric to measure!!!

Ok I guess I could add a 'poll' and have people vote for my tracks, but again, it's detracting from the purpose of the site, to give away free music, no strings attached.

Plus sometimes ignorance is bliss wink1.gif

The only metric I really care about is the one I cannot measure -> how many IBL's have I attracted.

So Randy, you planning on becoming Sir Richard Brandson's next door neighbour?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!