• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Seo Rant

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 K.S. Katz

K.S. Katz

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:34 AM

Okay, normally, I'm a gentle, good-hearted person who goes with the flow. But today, someone's ticked me off and I need to sound off before I take my phone and slam it into the desk until it breaks. One of my super pet peeves are "experts" who make specific claims that sound to me completely idiotic but upper management hears it and thinks, "Wow...they're so smart. We need to do what they say." girl_cray2.gif

My boss went upstate to meet with a partner and their SEO "expert" advised him that Google sets aside the 2, 3 and 6 spot in their Top 10 listings to video. Yes folks, it's a miracle. Someone has in their infinite wisdom broken the Google algorithm and found this wonderful tidbit of information. When I tried to argue the validity of this decree, my boss assured me that the "expert" proved it to him. censored.gif

Yes and pigs fly on Sundays! Okay, I can make a ton of statements and find Google results that "prove" my statements but it doesn't make it true. I'm just finding results that fit my particular take on the universe. Now, I know that engagement objects like video are important since the advent of Universal Search; however, without extended amount of research I wouldn't make a decree unless I had a heck of a lot of research to back me up. Oh, and folks, the algo is always changing so freaking stop chasing your tails and stick to best practices.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! girl_cray2.gif

Okay, I feel better now. Now I can go back and figure out a way to constructively deal with this idiocy. Hint, hint, any suggestions would be helpful.

#2 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

I would email 10 searches where this doesn't apply (preferably where video is at other positions on the page) to said boss and ask if it would be possible to speak to the expert, as you are unaware of this piece of info, but obviously it is very important and you would like to find out more, then pick the guys argument apart smile.gif

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,586 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Okay, I can make a ton of statements and find Google results that "prove" my statements but it doesn't make it true.

It's a lot easier to knock down someone else's theory than it is to prove one of your own (unless you're "proving" it to someone as gullible as your boss). For example, there are plenty of videos that come up on a video search for Jill Whalen, but if I just do a normal web search on her name, I don't see any videos in the results.

Or how about baking peanut butter cookies? Why don't I see any of the many videos about baking peanut butter cookies on that SERP?

Oh, I know -- Big G knows that I'm an SEO, so they're filtering my results so that they won't fit the pattern because they want me to spread FUD and tarnish the image of the genius who figured it all out.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Or better yet. Do a jill whalen video search on regular Google and the vids show up in positions 5 & 7.

Does that help?

#5 K.S. Katz

K.S. Katz

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

Yes it does. smile.gif

#6 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

There's a measure of truth in what is being said. However to make a video that will have a real zinger effect for your products and services involves a lot of skill and effort. If it's an appropriate use of resources, then I would say go for it.

#7 kabutops

kabutops

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

Great posts!

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hm. A search for "Britney Spears" breaks the pattern, too. After running a query for "Brad Pitt", I must conclude that all video listings occur at positions four and five, because that is where I found them for Britney and Brad.

And here I thought the whole process was complicated.

Silly me.

#9 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

I am known in the office for having SEO 'rants', where clients of ours have followed some bs advice, but I think this one has some semblance of truth - we have been doing a lot of research here on video in the serps, and they tended to be in the same positions each time, I never counted to assume where they would be but generally approximately position 6. Google being Google constantly test and re-test to find out where they feel they should be (not sure what the success criteria is however), but one search that I used to prove the results is "white board friday" if you search for that (without quotes) the videos would dominate the results one week ... but have returned to 8 / 9.

The more 'passive' user research I do (watching over peoples shoulders) the more I spot people don't tend to scroll at all, and click within about 6 seconds on either the first or second result.

So in defence of the SEO expert he was probably right when he said it ...

My (english) two pence.

Gerry

p.s. Jill - I enjoyed your discussion in the London SES on Wednesday, with Rand.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

Offtopic
p.s. Jill - I enjoyed your discussion in the London SES on Wednesday, with Rand.

Thanks! I enjoyed doing it. Was nice to have some healthy disagreement!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!