• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Repeating Keywords Throughout Different Pages

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ckech71

ckech71

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

Hello,

I am new here and need a little help, I have been reading around and have had some really good information picked up from this site, thanks! My question is, am I allowed to repeat keywords on different pages? I have read somewhere that google does not like that. But it would be impossible to do this because so many of my products are alike.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:08 AM

Every word on every page is potentially a "keyword." In other words, if the word or phrase appears on a page, that page could potentially show up in the search results for that word or phrase, regardless of whether you consciously optimized the page for that word or phrase.

That said, you can certainly optimize more than one page for the same phrases. Google isn't in the business of telling you what phrases to optimize for.

However, you need to keep in mind Google will only show two results from any given domain in any given SERP, so actively optimizing three or more pages for the same phrase is probably a waste.

As best you can, try to find near equivalent phrases you can use for additional pages, rather than optimizing for the exact same phrase on many pages from your site. This makes it possible for you to potentially rank on a wider variety of searches than if you focus in on only a handful of phrases to use site-wide.

Oh, and where ever it was you read that Google doesn't like you to repeat keywords on multiple pages? Stop reading there. If that's really what they said, they don't know what they're talking about. smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

I have read somewhere that google does not like that.

You may want to stop reading there.

Google doesn't dislike anything other than people/websites that set out to deceive them into getting a higher ranking than what they deserve.

#4 ckech71

ckech71

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

Thank you so much for your help, it is really helpful. I love this website you guys have, great information. I am going to try what you suggested and see what happens.

One more question for now, how often do I submit my website to google. I have once already. But after these major changes, do I resubmit?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

One more question for now, how often do I submit my website to google. I have once already. But after these major changes, do I resubmit?

Nope, never.

Please read our Tips for Newbies when you get a chance. These types of questions are pretty much answered there and in the SEO FAQ.

#6 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:07 AM

You know the best thing I saw for freaking out about key words is Youtube. As dumb as that sounds if you go there and enter key words it deletes any duplication. You can enter in as many sentences or combos or whatever you think of and at the end you are left with a list of words. That makes more sense than anything I have seen so far.

#7 stephen186

stephen186

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(ogormask @ Feb 6 2009, 01:07 AM) View Post
You know the best thing I saw for freaking out about key words is Youtube. As dumb as that sounds if you go there and enter key words it deletes any duplication. You can enter in as many sentences or combos or whatever you think of and at the end you are left with a list of words. That makes more sense than anything I have seen so far.

Hi everyone,

I am also new here, but not new in the SEO game. I personally think keywords should not be repeated unless and until you cannot handle it without repeating it.

#8 Ryan@SEOBackup

Ryan@SEOBackup

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

Avoid repeating the exact sequence of your keywords, title & description. Using the same keywords in a different context, however, is good practice.

Example:

Widgets overview - Blue, red & green widgets
- Blue widgets information
- Buy blue widgets here

These all define 'blue widgets' in the title & by extension, the keywords & description also, but because they are used in a different context & not as an exact replica of the page before it, you will not be penalised.

HTH

Ryan

#9 Hsekhar

Hsekhar

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

You can repeat the same keywords on as many pages as you want. But you should make sure the "keyword density" is not too much on each page. It's okay to repeat a keyword on different pages of your site as long as the content is unique from each page to another.

And as for submitting your site to Google, "You don't need to submit your site to Google". The Google bot will take care of indexing your site as soon as it finds some content on it. And even though you change (the content of) your site or Google changes its algorithm, You won't need to submit your site to Google, Never.

#10 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(ogormask @ Feb 6 2009, 06:07 AM) View Post

Yes, this is something I notice in Youtube too which is one of the reasons that lead me to a question that I just posted - please take a look, it's a similar question to this one but a bit more specific (it's just coincidence that the post title is the same) - http://www.highranki...showtopic=39465.

Thanks guys, any advice would be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.