• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

8 Topics That Have Rand Stumped

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

Rand Fishkin has an interesting post about some recent SEO happenings that have him stumped.

Frankly, I'm not sure why he's stumped by them, but am interested to hear others opinions. I don't have any facts to base most of my answers on, but here are my opinions based on common sense and my gut feelings from knowing how search engines have worked for 15 years:

1. Does QDD Give an Inherent Boost to Negative Subject Matter?
Some rumors have been passing around the SEO world that QDD, Google's "diversity" algorithm that's intended to show more of a variety of different kinds of content in page one of the SERPs, gives a rankings boost to negative focused content, making it easier to rank for a company/brand/person's name if you "talk smack" about them. True or false?

I wasn't familiar with the term "QDD" but with the explanation there as to what it means, yep, I definitely believe this one is true. I have seen it way too many times for it to be a coincidence.

2. The 302 Hijack is Back?

Can't say as I pay enough attention to this area to have an opinion on this one.

3. Are the Engines Following URL Shortening Services?

Haven't tested this other than to see if they were doing 301 redirects. Since the ones I checked were, then yes, of course the search engines are following those links. That's what they do with 301 redirects.

4. What Was Up with The Hyves Subdomain PR Penalty Checker?

Not sure about this one, but it did seem to be working when I looked at it when it was first mentioned. I don't think it's doing anything now, however. I wish I could test it some more, as I'm wondering if any subdomain made up name may have perhaps done the same thing as using hyves as the subdomain.
5. Does Google Employ Link Buying Moles?

Obviously can't say for sure, but it seems to me this goes without saying. Why would they not?

6. Will Anchor Text Value Pass Through Terribly Low Quality Links?

As the number one result for SEO company show (thanks to Rand outing them), yes, low quality links most definitely pass anchor text.

So how 'bout the rest of you. How would you answer?

#2 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

3 certainly seems to do something with twitterd domains

I was seting up a new domain for my client that hacked with i quickly twittered about it and found the next day that some twitter saerch engines had sent me trafic form a pr4 page weather this turns into a link passing value i have no idea.

this was before i had set up any links into the new domain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!