• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Penalty - What To Do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 star1

star1

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

One of my webpages has been penalised in google (removed from the organic search results).

It used to rank number 2/3 then dissapeared, then came back for a day or so at rank 9 / 10 (but PR dropped from pr4 to NA) then it has dissapeared again.

I think this may be due to a google penalty as a resuit of over useage of the KW anchor text in the links pointing to the webpage ?

I guess my question is what should i do?

I have thought of 3 options:

1. Make a New page with same content and build links for this but 301 the old page to the new one, keep all existing links pointing to the old page

2. Keep the old page but change the anchors from my link partners and hope the page comes back to normal (ie sit and wait strategy)

3. Make a new page with the same content and 301 the old page to the new one but slowly change the links that are pointing to the old page over to the new one ?

or any other ideas you may have, any advice would be really helpful in this time of need

Thanks

Star

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

Remove the search engine spam and then submit a reinclusion request through your Google Webmaster Tools account.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

How much overuse of the kw anchor text in the links is overuse of the kw anchor text in the links?

I really doubt that this could be the cause of the penalty, unless you're linking back to those sites and there's something spammy about them. If it's just a matter of an unnaturally high percentage of your backlinks having the same anchor text, I think the worst thing that would happen would be for the links to be ignored and not help you at all. I don't think your page would be dropped over something like that.

If anyone has any documented cases of something like this actually being penalized please let me know.

#4 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

I think the worst thing that would happen would be for the links to be ignored and not help you at all. I don't think your page would be dropped over something like that.

If anyone has any documented cases of something like this actually being penalized please let me know.

I think the difficulty here is that a large nubmer of links, that had previously contributed to rankings, suddenly not helping, would result in a "penalty like" effect, in that they stop passing juice, and the site goes from 20 links to 10 for the sake of argument, suddenly it drops from position 1 to position 20 looking to all the world like a penalty, when in reality it is just G retuning the status quo. I would imagine that an aweful lot of reported penalties are caused by a similar thing

To the OP, why do you have so many links with the same anchor text, was this something doen throug link buying, or is it q natural effect caused by having your keywords in your co name or URL, if it's the former you may need to do a wider review of your optimisation strategy to ensure you are completely compliant before you submit a re-inclusion request, if it's the latter it is even less likely that this is the cause and further investigation may be needed.

#5 Googlefrog

Googlefrog

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 29 2009, 04:57 PM) View Post
How much overuse of the kw anchor text in the links is overuse of the kw anchor text in the links?

I really doubt that this could be the cause of the penalty, unless you're linking back to those sites and there's something spammy about them. If it's just a matter of an unnaturally high percentage of your backlinks having the same anchor text, I think the worst thing that would happen would be for the links to be ignored and not help you at all. I don't think your page would be dropped over something like that.

I have information. However I am currently testing it again, my page got dropped from 4th on page one for a longtail keyphrase to nowhere in a very short time once I pointed lots of spammy links at it - I say spammy as in PR0-1. The next test is to point these links at another site. I wouldn't file any re inclusion btw.

I've had this before, but last time after it disappeared, it would be ping ponging back and forth from page 4 to almost 90, but by then I had removed the low value links - hmm. The site would sit there on it's competitive keyword for a few days then bounce back, some days it would bounce back and forth several times. Has anyone experienced that? searchme.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!